1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 7dii issues

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Nov 2, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I can well believe that
    As you say the 7d is so responsive. But it pains me to say it, but the files from the humble 80d also look better. I’m now chomping at the bit wanting to see what a 5diii can deliver as a action camera.....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I’m glad you said that. I still feel a bit guilty about going into a shop to buy a 7D and walking out with a 1Div.

EightBitTony likes this.
  3. pixelpuffin

A few weeks ago, I was almost buying a 1div. But after spending days googling it transpired the AF was not as good as the 7dii, but high iso was better.
    Needless I came away scratching my head.
    I have days when I think sod it, just trade it all in and get the 1dx I (used, I hasten to add)
    The more I look at those files I took with the 5Dc, the more I’m thinking the 5diii will surprise me. I’ll miss the reach of the aps-c, that’s for sure.

4. PeteRob

The crop factor is important for the viewfinder if you are being selective with focussing. I have a 5Ds which in pixel terms allows a crop to APS-C with the same resolution as a 7Dii but it’s useless for birding* because you can’t work with the viewfinder - everything is too small. Hence the 1Div with a x1.3 crop remains superior. The R models will I guess support viewfinder magnification which will overcome the problem so I can see the like of the R5 becoming the way to go.

The 7Dii post-dates the 1Div. High ISO on the 1Div might be “better” than a 7D but it isn’t terrific. The AF is very fast and seems to have become standardised across the later models. My 5Ds has the same AF capability. The 1Div images have a different “look” to the 5D. It took me a while to get used to and I did think at first think I’d made a terrible mistake buying it.

*The problem comes when the subject is of a size with the focussing point marker.

5. pixelpuffin

When you say “ have a different look “ can you elaborate?
    Is it a look that could be replicated using picture styles? Or is it the massive hike in pixel density of the 5ds ?
    Which look do you prefer?
    How does the look of the files from 1div compare with aps-c?
    Oh, finally (sorry) would you buy the 5Div again today?
    I’m really not happy at all now with the 7d (both versions) files after looking at the earlier shots I took using the much older 5Dc
    If I could have my time again, I’d have stayed clear of aps-c.

6. PeteRob

I can’t “see” it now, I‘m used to it. When I’d only seen 5D images and put 1Div images up for the first time I had a reaction. I’ll go back in time to 2012 and have a look.

5Ds images are a completely different animal. 5D vs 1Div was 13 MP vs 16 MP so more alike on the screen when clicking away in an editor.

The only APS-C I have are Fuji. I have 16 MP, 24 MP and, as of Wednesday, 26 MP sensors. I don’t really compare them with Canon. They are used differently.

If my 1Div broke I’d update my tele-converter from mkii to mkiii and make do with my 5Ds until the R5 proved itself. I might get a 7Dii + grip as a stop gap. I toyed with the idea of getting a 100-400 for my X-H1 which would also do, it’s about the same cost as a 7D ii, but the Canon lenses deserve use and I’ve got a lot.

I quite like the Fuji APS-C. I find 10 mm focal length (15 mm effective) a bit un-natural looking compared with 16 mm on my Canon but at greater focal length they are fine. If I was starting over today I’d probably go with Fuji but other than a 200 mm F2 they have no big telephoto primes.