1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon 7d compact flash card

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by connie, Aug 29, 2014.

1. connie

connie Well-Known Member

Hello

Can anyone recommend a compact flash card for canon 7d - what size card is best?

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

The biggest you can afford

3. connie

connie Well-Known Member

Is there a maximum - as i know there was with the canon 350d.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nope.

Speed is an advantage, though - if you want to maximise burst depth (number of continuous shots), a faster card helps.

5. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

There's a lot be said for two or three smaller cards rather than one very large card. All your eggs in one basket is not a good idea. If you loose the card or it goes faulty then everything's lost. :(

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Au contraire, there's a lot to be said for one big card rather than several smaller ones.

Less chance of physically losing a card if it stays in the camera, less chance of losing shots when changing cards, and as cards tend to be corrupted if they're changed during the write process, less danger of that. And even if they do go faulty, recovery software almost always gets all the pics back. Still have a spare, of course.

7. AndyMulhearn

AndyMulhearn Well-Known Member

I use 8GB Sandisk cards - I can fit over 300 raw shots onto one card. I have one 16GB card from PNY which I tend not to use as 600+ shots on a card seems too many to me to be comfortable...

8. connie

connie Well-Known Member

Thanks Andy.

9. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

agree smaller cards rather than one single large card - although I use 16gb cards but back images up to another card just in case

10. mikeh201355

mikeh201355 Well-Known Member

I use 8GB and 16GB cards in my 7D. I also choose the fastest I can afford so the buffer clears as quickly as possible (apparently the class of card is a more reliable indicator of performance than the Mb/sec but then again I am pretty clueless on things like that).

11. Topconvet

Topconvet Well-Known Member

In my Canon 7D I use/used 32Gb 400x Transcend CF cards

Which size is best?

Depends. Do you want to do some video? -- then a larger card is better otherwise you'll need to keep changing cards. Do you use it for stills only? Raw and jpg? What size image?

You need to evaluate your needs.

Personally? I'd go with a bigger card. (I've recently acquired a couple of 64k 1000x KomputerBay CF cards ..... although I've only been using them with my 5D3.)

12. johntaylor

johntaylor New Member