1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 70D and Canon Speedlite 430EX III

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Cara, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Cara

Cara New Member

Hi all, apologies if I've missed this being asked before... I did look but couldn't find it. I need some help understanding some specs or what my options are.

I have a Canon 70D and a Speedlite 430EX. I can get the speedlite to trigger off camera as a slave using in the on(in?) camera flash, but it doesn't seem to support it without using the camera's flash.

I would like a flash I could use as a master off camera. I have noticed that the 430EX III info states;

Орtісаl trіggеrіng аllоwѕ ЕОЅ саmеrаѕ fеаturіng а buіlt-іn Іntеgrаtеd Ѕрееdlіtе Тrаnѕmіttеr (е.g. ЕОЅ 760D, ЕОЅ 70D аnd ЕОЅ 7D Маrk ІІ) tо fіrе thе Ѕрееdlіtе 430ЕХ ІІІ-RТ frоm uр tо 10m аwау, wіthоut thе nееd fоr ехtrа еquірmеnt.

Does this mean I can use it as an off camera flash without using the camera's built flash to trigger it? I did consider looking for a remote trigger for the 430EX but don't know if's it just too old a model. Or do I just need to get a 500/600 series Speedlite? I am open to other brands just don't know anything about them!

The more I research the more confused I'm getting, so thought I'd pick all your brains! :)

If it makes any difference, I am hoping to maybe purchase the R6 in the next few months so assume the flashes are also compatible?

Thanks
    Cara

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi Cara - at a guess the 430EX III-RT has those extra letters to denote that it can receive a remote trigger signal. I have the 420 EX (preceded the 430 EX) and that needs a separate controller to fire it. The name of this controller escapes me at the moment even though I've got one somewhere. I'd assume the R6 will be able to use the 430 EX from the hotshoe but that's just a guess - if it is important to you I'd double check.

Cara likes this.