1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon 70-200 2.8ii query

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by pixelpuffin, Oct 2, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Due to the darker evenings, I’m looking to buy the 70-200 2.8

I tried the F4 IS but really disliked the vibrations when IS was activated. Both my 70-300L & 100-400L are vibration free. I want to know if the MKII version of Canons 70-200 2.8 has the same IS (silent) or is it like the F4 IS ??

I’ve tried googling but can’t find the answer.
    I know a few members here have this lens, maybe they could confirm for me??

Many Thanks

on a side note, covered sons soccer last weekend, first match since March. Tried the 7dii on its debut using cluster AF with H speed....
    Hmm, pretty much 2K blurry pics !! Think I’ll stick to centre spot/single shot for tomorrow’s game.
    The AF parameters are ridiculously complicated on the 7dii, As noisy as the original 7d was, it always nailed focus!!

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No idea. The F4 is silent compared to the IS on the original F2.8 which thumps away to an amazing degree, though I’d not say it vibrates to any sensible degree, it just makes a lot of noise. I think there is a mk iii now.

3. pixelpuffin

Yes, you’re right, the MKII F4 and MKIII F2.8
    Because of the amazing capabilities of modern high iso, I admit the new F4ii is catching my eye. No doubt that new version will be silent and has a unbelievable 5 stop IS system!!
    My head is telling me to leave the 2.8ii alone and go for the 4ii. The only time the 2.8 will come into its own is the night time shoots, not to mention requiring critical focus due to the lack of dof.

I still have the 200/2.8 prime but no IS

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can't say I've noticed any particular IS noise with the f2.8 IS II. It is a big and heavy lens, though - if I didn't absolutely need f2.8, I would go for the f4.

Well actually I wouldn't, I would stick with the 70-300 and 100-400.

5. pixelpuffin

It isn’t the noise that’s the issue but the vibrations when the IS is on, which is obviously each time the shutter is pressed halfway to acquire AF, then when the IS switches off there’s a noticeable click?? Sent me potty!!

Yes, both 70-300 & 100-400 are very good. But 5.6 is too small when light is low.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just given it whirl - close to silent, and no vibrations.

Yes, f5.6 is a bit small, but when I NEED f2.8, it's when I'm shooting at or very close to max (expanded) ISO. Rare I need to do that with my personal stuff, so even in pretty low light, I'm generally happy enough with f5.6, I just bump the ISO up a bit.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The autofocus makes more noise than the IS, from what I've noticed.

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I can’t say as I’ve ever thought to separate AF from IS, noise wise. I suppose it is easy enough to turn AF off and see. Might have a play later.

daft_biker likes this.