1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon 5D ;)

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Stephen Rundle, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Good equipment doesn't suddenly become rubbish overnight. With hindsight I would have bought a used higher spec body, rather than new entry level when I bought my first camera. I'm waiting for the 6d used prices to get to £400 before I pull the trigger.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The 5D was my first digital camera - can't think what I paid - something like £2,400 in a kit with the 24-105 F4 which is still going strong. I traded it for a 5Ds shortly before the 5Div was finally launched, following months and months of hype.

These pictures were from the first day out with it, April 14th 2007, and I just couldn't believe that you could stand there in the entrance to what was a quite dark room and get a result. These from the workshop at the entrance to Erddig (National Trust).

[​IMG]IMG_0027.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_0028.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

EightBitTony and daft_biker like this.
  4. Stephen Rundle

100%

5. Stephen Rundle

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-EOS-6D-MK1_281000.html

Well !

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

This is true, but it does become significantly less valued - in every sense - if it has significant shortcomings that are addressed by later models. The 5D was a huge dust magnet, unlike the 5D II, had a dodgy mirror, and lacked Live View etc

The 6D, though, is still a great camera.

RogerMac likes this.
  7. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

I always hear the dust issue - yet my 5d got used for 18mths in all weathers and I never noticed it. The images still look good today, the colours were gorgeous. BUT I wouldn’t get one now. 5dii, yep, no probs but the 5d rear screen was so hard to check anything other than if the camera had actually just took a picture!!

@ MJB I grabbed a mint 6D just before last Xmas for £425 boxed mint with.....533 shutter count ! Previous owner used it for a weekend to Belgium then never touched again. Current shutter count is .....552!! As you can see, I’m hard on my gear!!
    For some stupid reason I can’t bring myself to up the shutter count! My white 100D has 133 shots! 70d has 1092! Yet my 5diii has 160K and I’ll happily rattle off frames all day long!! Go figure

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  8. PeteRob

Mine got dusty when new but the propensity to gather dust seemed to decline with age. I cleaned the sensor maybe half a dozen times in 10 years, blowing only, not wet clean. Sure I had to spot dust on skies but not ridiculously so. DPP also saves dust-delete data making clean up quite easy in the early days. You just refine the mask for the first image and reapply for all using the clone/heal tool. I never did macro or portraiture which would really show dust up.

9. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

well the mirror fell out and I swore blind from that day on I would always have a spare camera. So off it went to canon to have the mirror glued (free repair) asked if they could clean the sensor...cost me £60! By the time it came back I’d gone and bought the 7d....never looked back and never took another shot with the 5d. Although IQ was lower than 5d, the 7d was a absolute dream to use...and still is!!

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Had mine for 3 years. I must've cleaned the sensor well over 100 times in that period - mostly I had to clean it every other week. It was absolutely ridiculous. Yes, it took lovely pictures, but not worth the hassle.

Very true.

I bought a 6D (on my birthday, as it happened) in December 2012 for £1700, still have it and still use it. It's done all sorts - pro work, travel, landscapes, you name it. Worked out as very good value for money.

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I love my 6D, but the size of the focal area, and the number of focus points, really shows its age compared to any other camera I own.

12. PeteRob

I was lucky. The mirror fell out two weeks before Canon ended the warranty on the mirror fault and it was repaired for free. I think they only terminated the warranty because they ran out of repair kits. I traded it not so long after that.

13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Absolutely this. I bought a brand new D5100, when I probably could have bought a used D7100 or similar for around the same money.

14. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

The night before a wedding in 2007 the mirror fell out... it was superglued back in and although it hasn't been used much over the last 5 or 6 years its still ok now.