1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon 55-250mm + 1.4x

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by pixelpuffin, Aug 13, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Well the amazing 100-400ii i pined after is still sat waiting to be used. Incredible lens.....BUT it’s big, heavy and white. Did I mention it’s big!!

So, 55-250mm IS STM paired with kenko 1.4x HD DGX mounted on 80d

boy is it light, oh geez
    AF and IS still work fine
    IQ is far better than I was anticipating

Anyone tried the same ??

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No - not got any Canon APS-C but the lens has good reputation. Yes the 100-400 is fairly heavy and white. Try handholding a 500 F4, then you'll not think the 100-400 so big.

3. pixelpuffin

ha ha
    No ta. I doubt I’ll buy another lens or camera. I’m just not that bothered
    Next purchase will be drone of some sort and newer phone. But neither is high on my list.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Not tried any extenders. What's the maximum aperture of the 55-250 through that extender?

I did like the kit 55-250 when I first got the 600D, for a kit lens it was really nice.

5. pixelpuffin

Good question
    It should be f8, but whether the kenko fools the camera I’ve not checked. I was gobsmacked both IS and AF worked. I’ve only played with it in the garden but It’s surprised me. I finish early on Fridays so will be out again trying it out. Will also upload the files to the laptop for pixel peeping!!

6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I believe only the Kenco DGX teleconverters are full chipped and pass corrected data to the camera. The others are just straight pass-through of data from the lens. I use an unchipped 1.7X on a 70-300mm f:4-5.6 with no problem, although the IBIS is less effective.