1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 24-70L

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by PeterLanky, May 18, 2006.

1. PeterLanky

PeterLanky Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the gross weight of this lens including the box and the parephenalia that comes with it?

2. ElectricPics

ElectricPics Well-Known Member

The lens weighs 950g, and it comes with a hood and soft case, which, together with the box and polystyrene packing, I'd estimate to weigh approx 250g, so say 1.2Kg all in.

3. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Like the 28-70 before it, it's one hefty piece of glass and produces top-notch results.

4. PeterLanky

I ask the question because some joker was trying to charge me the 2kg+ rate for special delivery, though I believe even when well packed, it will weigh less than 2kg. I've gone elsewhere now.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sadly this appears to be the latest scam when buying good by mail.

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Especially on eBay - I'm still looking for memory cards and one seller is quoting £18.98 for UK First Class Recorded on a CompactFlash card and also saying "We charge a postage fee only to cover our costs of materials and labour". This is for a 'Buy It Now' sale whereas the same item from the same company with the same postal option but in an auction rather than 'Buy It Now' has a postage of £5.98.

Clearly, the P&P in the 'Buy It Now' is subsidising the selling price so that their goods look attractively priced. I wish that this practice was outlawed.

7. PeterLanky

David,
    Ive never found flash cards on eBay good value at all because if this postage racket. I just bought 2 Kingston cards from Here. Good price and very fast delivery.

8. rob_watt

rob_watt Well-Known Member

I suppose labour could justify it. Say if it takes him 30 minutes to go to the post office. What's his hourly rate?

It's seriously taking the p**s, but you've always got the option not to deal with them (which is what I tend to do)

9. PeterLanky

Took delivery of the 24-70L today. A bit shocked at the size of the lens hood compared with my Sigma, but I have to agree the design of lens movement is better, so that the hood will always be in the correct position for the focal length.