1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon 1200D, 100D or 700D?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by AlexDenny, Mar 17, 2014.

?

Canon 1200D, 100D or 700D?

1. Canon 1200D (£350)

11.1%
  2. Canon 100D (£370)

22.2%
  3. Canon 700D (£480)

66.7%
  1. AlexDenny

AlexDenny Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on upgrading my Canon 1000D, and I was very interested to read about the launch of the new 1200D in the last month or so. A lot of people have commented that it is not a big upgrade (other than the sensor) from the old 1100D, but clearly it is a big step up from the older 1000D (particularly because it films HD videos and allows for Automatic Exposure Bracketing, neither of which were supported by the 1000D).

Having looked on Amazon and other online retailers, I can pick up a 1200D for around £350 (there aren't many offers as it's so new); or I can pick up a 100D for about £20 more (so £370). The 700D is quite a bit more, at £485, so I'm probably not as keen on that, unless there are some signficant advantages which I may be overlooking?

Do they all take the same memory cards? Another consideration would be whether they all have the same battery as the old 1000D, as I have bought a couple of spares in the past and replacing these would also push up the cost,.

Any advice or thoughts would be very much appreciated!

2. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Unless you have particularly small hands, the 100D will be uncomfortable to hold, I would go for the 1200D unless you don't mind spending that bit extra for the 700D.

3. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I'm biased as I find the 100D and the 1000/1100/1200D to be to small. So for me it would be the 700D.
    That said you might feel different, we really can't say what would be best for you.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got average-sized hands, and find the 100D extremely comfortable. The point is, though, the OP has to try them out physically for himself. They're all decent enough cameras, the question is if all the cameras have the features he needs, which one feels the best to him?

5. Hammer_Drum

Hammer_Drum Active Member

I would personally not upgrade from one Entry level camera to another.

Some excellent deals on the 700D and even the 650D which would still be a significant upgrade on your existing gear.

6. AlexDenny

Thanks Hammer_Drum, I hadn't considered the 650D, but you're right, I have seen a few online for a price much closer to the 1200D and 100D and it certainly looks like a tempting option. I have to say, I'm put off by spending over £400 but there are a number of deals on the 650D which come in under it. Definitely an extra one to consider!

7. Hammer_Drum

650D is a whole lot if Camera! Anything that is previous model is worth looking at as it will be an improvement and suits budgets.

Never discount used also, some excellent deals to be had.

8. AlexDenny

I could get a second hand 60D from my local camera shop for a similar amount of money, which is obviously an older but higher range model. Would that be better? It has the articulated screen, but not touch-screen, with the same 18mp sensor. I wonder, though, how the ISO stacks up in terms of noise? It's 6,400 expandable to 12,800, I believe?

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

It is much more of a photographers camera than the others, but it is not as good doing video. I have not tried the 700D so I can't for sure but I suspect that it would outgun all of the cameras on your list as a camera.
    Well worth considering in my opinion.

10. Hammer_Drum

The 60D comfortably out performs all of these, the 700D would run it fairly close.

You are really unlikely to use an ISO that high, the one I've just replaced only went to 3200 and I never went above 1600.

The ISO quality will be to a much higher standard on the 60D - the touchscreen is nice, which is why I've gone for the 70D, but it's at a premium.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Unlikely - more likely to be better on the others, as they're more recent but with the same sensor.

12. Hammer_Drum

I stand corrected. You are going to get better features in a 60D rather than the lower models though.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Depends what you mean by "better" - for some people, the touchscreen of some of the lower models might be of more use, for instance. In general, I would agree with you.

14. Hammer_Drum

Higher Fps, Auto Leveling and the small additional screen would win it over for me.

The 700D does run it pretty close though I'd agree.

15. AlexDenny

Thanks, this is really useful. Do you know how the Automatic Exposure Bracketing, coupled with post-production HDR, which I could do with something like the 60D compares with the in-camera HDR that can be done with the 650D? I'm not sure if the in-camera HDR gives you a raw output or JPG and how customizable it is?

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

That's what I was thinking too

17. AlexDenny

Thanks all. I opted for the 650D in the end, which came in at £400 and I'm loving it. I tried the 700D too which is very similar so I didn't feel I can justify the extra cost to myself!!

18. Hammer_Drum

Excellent choice my friend, that's a great deal you've got too.

19. Phoebe May

Phoebe May Member

Unless you are big into video or need fancy comms. you could look at the 1100D as well. There are plenty about at good prices and they have a great spec. and performance.