1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Canon 100-400 or 2X converter

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by southonline, Jun 13, 2014.

1. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

I've been considering buying the 100-400 but was reading article on using the 2X converter with the f2.8 70-200 and least from what I picked up quite a viable option than buying a new lens

Does anyone have an experience in using the x2 with the 70-200? I've already got the 1.4x which gives me 280 but using the 2x will offer me 400 at the same f stop as the 100-400 , but a lot cheaper ;o) - this will be used on a crop so yes I know thats also x 1.6

2. southonline

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Curiously I never really considered using a converter with the 70-200. to go longer I bought the 300 F4 and 1.4x. My logic was I didn't much want long focal length on a just in case basis but for situations where It would be used at full extent, so I got the prime.

4. southonline

1.4x does work extremely well with the 70-200, but I've been finding I need a little longer in some cases and didn't want a prime - the 100-400 is one option but it is an older lens first made in 88 and I'm wondering if a newer one is one the cards with better IS and maybe not the push pull zoom as I'm really not sure about that

The 2x is an option and with L lenses maybe a cheaper way forward

5. PeteRob

My son says get the converter. He reckons that Canon assess the 100-400 at 400 to be the same as the 70-200 f2.8L at 200 with x2 converter. He worked in camera retail shops and went on canon training days. They let him loose with a 300 F2.8 for familiarisation one weekend! Was nice to have one in the house even if only for two days.

6. southonline

cheers Pete - plus whilst I know its a L lens I'm still struggling with the ideal of buying something thats 26 yrs old - and I'm sure Canon must be in the process of developing an upgrade - plus, lastly, if they did come up with an upgrade the 2x converter would probably fit that ;o)

nice ;o) ...but had you said the 200-400 F4 I would have been VERY envious

7. PeteRob

Ha - was a few years ago and before the 200-400 came out.

Of course, the 200-400 F4 could be seen as the replacement for the 100-400 you are waiting for :). Having been using the "long" lengths 200, 300 and 400 I can see the attractiveness of having a zoom to cover that range (plus the built in converter) but is difficult to justify the price.

I am not sure they would replace the 100-400 while it is still selling. For most people the new 75-300L probably meets most needs so why another new design?

8. southonline

I think few amateurs would cover the 10k price tag...least this one won't

I still think theres an opening for a new 100-400 but we'll see, least for now I'll be covering that with the x2 - cheers for the feedback Pete ;o)

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I'd go for the 2x converter, given you already have the 70-200. I don't think there's an awful lot to choose between that and the 100-400 at the long end, but you'd probably regret not having the f2.8 at the wide end.

Regarding the 100-400, when I bought mine last year the dealer had the impression that a new version was in the pipeline, but not imminent. Like you I was unsure about the push/pull zoom, but now I love it. I find that when using it hand held for wildlife, I can adjust the zoom with my index finger whilst maintaining a firm steady grip, although I do have big hands.

I do wish you hadn't started this thread as I'm now lusting after a 70-200 and 2x converter.:eek:

10. southonline

cheers MJB

I'll be ordering on Monday and I'll wait for the new 100-400 ...with the x2 that will give me some reach ;o)