1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot access RAW files to edit etc

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Nikoboy, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Nikoboy

Nikoboy Active Member

Recently having started to use RAW (NEF) format for my images where I can edit etc.

Recently I wanted to reduce an image size of 7.45 MB to allow it to be posted onto media such as Facebook at 4 MB or less.

I have used although maybe dated Photoshop 7, this will not see or open raw files to reduce the size. Having used PS to reduce image size without any problems with JPEG format etc for posting etc.

I have Nikon NX-D and Aurora, but cannot find a route to change the raw 'image size' and 'save as' to keep the original untouched.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You can't. The raw file isn't actually an image file. It needs processing to make an image and, having made that image, you can save it to [almost] any pixel size you like and, if using a format like jpg, compress it to save file space. For example, if I want to show an image on here or Flickr I export it from Lightroom to a jpg with longest side 800 pixels and size usually around 200 kb. This works well even with Canon 5Ds raw files that are over 50 MB.

3. Nikoboy

Nikoboy Active Member

Thanks
    All sorted as suggested, I was looking for 'save as', not thinking of 'export'.

Strangely Nikon NX-D seems not to see the raw files saved on the PC.

Aurora is ok, which I used to process the images.

thanks again

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes I don't know why "save as" isn't used, it is more common across the board. I don't know Nikon NX-D but many programs are written to recognise specific filetypes and Windows itself is obsessed with file association. Years ago I was able to edit the registry and make any unassociated filetype always [try to] open with a text-editor, useful if you do data bashing and invent your own filetypes, but it doesn't work anymore. Some non-raw processor programs can access the jpg which is embedded in a raw file for preview purposes even if they can't process the raw data itself.