1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I remove the lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Catriona, Jun 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Lumix DMC LX100.

I dropped my bag the other day and when I got home I found the front ring had dislodged. I managed to remove it and screw it on again and all is working fine.
    However, I now notice a dust blob has appeared bottom of each picture.
    I see there is a screw underneath the lens, but I'm unsure if this would free the lens to inspect it or if the screw is simply one of many holding the casing on. Also, I guess the dust could be on the sensor instead and I could make it all worse.
    I am not near anywhere I can get someone to look the camera over and would probably have to send it to Glasgow to get it fixed, if possible.
    Maybe as well to buy a new one?

2. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Photos would help perhaps use a phone

3. Stephen Rundle

". I managed to remove it and screw it on again "

Can't you again

4. Stephen Rundle

Remember as this is an accident, just tell them that you dropped it and claim for a repair, it is true, that is what insurance is for but it will cost you the first £x you have to pay

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I doubt you can get it apart and back together again unless you have some talent for that kind of thing. I don't know how much air circulation you get with the shutter in one of those. You could try holding it lens down and take a lot of shots in burst mode to see if the dust shifts. If it is able to be corrected for you might be able to batch process pictures to remove it without too much trouble.

6. Stephen Rundle

the screw ?

7. PeteRob

I haven't got one of these cameras but I'd be surprised if the lens assembly on a compact was held in by a single screw. No point in speculating.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Stephen Rundle

You are right, and I would suggest leave alone as well if the insurance company suspects played with it wont be covered

9. Catriona

No. Same assumption here. I saw a video on how to clean the sensor - and no way am I going there! It ends up being removed! I see I can get another for around £450, so I may go down that route. This one has done me pretty well for a few years now.

10. Catriona

Well I've just ordered another LX100 from WEX. Let's hope it does me as long as my current one has.
    By the way, does anyone have recommendations for a sturdy case for it? I always carry it around with me and I am now at the age of dropping things!

Craig20264 likes this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  12. Catriona

Thank you. Actually it's not really what I want to do. I was thinking of something to carry it around in, but not too bulky, just protection. Currently I use an ergonomic miniature zip up bag which is getting rather tatty. I need something a bit more robust, but I don't need the weight.

13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I use a Nikon lens pouch to carry my new x100f around in. Does the job a treat.

14. PeteRob

The Sony RX 10 is somewhat larger. My wife eschews camera bags and carries the Sony (not in use) in her normal handbag - though "hand" doesn't do bag justice - wrapped in a fleece winter hat (bobble hat type without a bobble) to protect it from bumps and scratches. She never goes anywhere with out the handbag. In use she has one of those fancy straps that fastens onto the tripod socket so the camera hangs upside down at her side. Seems to be very convenient and much better than a conventional strap. I keep meaning to buy one for myself.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The Tamrac 5206 pouch might do the job. I've been using them daily for about 5 years, one for the Sony HX90 and one for the Panasonic TZ70. The Sony fits perfectly while the Panny is just a little tight but usable. If I recall correctly, the LX100 is more or less the same size as the TZ70 but best if you check...

Tamrac 5206 camera pounch TZ70 P1030657.JPG

Tamrac 5206 camera pounch TZ70 P1030656.JPG

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

I like the look of that. Will see where I can get one.