1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I have my drone back?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Bazarchie, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Someone knocked on our door at 9pm tonight and asked if I could return their drone which had crashed in our back garden. I had a quick look without success so they are coming back tomorrow when it is light.

I have not checked the law in any detail, but should someone be allowed to fly a drone over our property? We live in a residential area.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Most odd. Probably there is a minimum height/distance requirement but the operator has to have visual contact with the drone at all time so it is strange that anyone knocks about a crash 5 hours or so after it happens.

3. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

... or it could just be some guy wanting to case the joint...

Learning, neilt3 and zx9r like this.
  4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You might start by looking here https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I had a teeny tiny drone, the wind blew it away and I haven't seen it since!
    Did he tell you the size of his drone?

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

There's a minimum distance between drones in flight and people not under control of the operator IIRC but I don't think there's anything that says they can't fly over your garden.

On Monday I was walking along a quiet road with a dog and there were a couple of guys flying a drone which was about 10ft away from me as I passed. Their car engine was left running unattended too:rolleyes:.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The minimum distance applies to people and buildings.

daft_biker likes this.
  8. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

5 hours after ?
    Just as likely they were flying it behind the houses to find out which were empty and crashed it !

That's my thought , with or without a drone .
    Why would they have a legitimate reason to be flying it over peoples gardens anyway ?
    If I see one over my garden I'll do my best to shoot it down !

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And vessels.

10. PeteRob

During lockdown I was riding up a hill and met a drone just above head height hovering in the middle of the road. A guy on a motorbike had been videoing himself riding up and down and was sat fiddling a few yards away. It was a quiet road. It was a big drone, not a toy one. If I'd been coming downhill at speed I'd have had a hell of a shock. You don't really expect to meet hovering head-high obstacles.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seriously though, read the CAA stuff. It's been greatly simplified since drone registration came in.

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. PeteRob

Yes - there is a lot of sensible stuff. I read it after my near miss. It needed clarifying.

Two or three years ago my son, a stonemason, was on scaffolding working on the underside of an old bridge over a fast flowing river when a drone popped up behind him. Gave him a shock. Bloody dangerous thing to do and illegal.

Zou likes this.
  13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How long have the regulations been in place?

For many years the local flying club has been using the darker green area of this field as their runway but I suspect changes to the regulations have made it non-compliant.

PSX_20211125_203036.jpg

Not that I object...when I've seen them flying the pilots seem quite skilled and safety conscious. The road is singletrack and the white dots are sheep if that helps with scale.

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

She didn’t revisit today and I did not find a drone in the garden, but it could be hidden in a shrub. I think I recognised her mainly from the dog she had with her, so not a random stranger.

I don’t like the thought of drones being allowed to fly over our property but subject to certain restrictions it appears to be allowed. Privacy must come into it.

15. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

16. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I would be tempted to damage it beyond repair and then tell her if hit a wall on your house, and that she was lucky it hadn't broken a window or hit a person.

neilt3 and Bazarchie like this.
  17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry to be pedantic but I would trust the CAA over that link, a case of organ grinder over monkey. As you may imagine I have had plenty of experience of working with the CAA and they will always provide advice if required.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with being pedantic where safety or the law are concerned.