1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Campkins Cameras Online Event

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Mark101, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I thought they had gone bust years ago.

3. Mark101

Nope, I walked past the store just three weeks ago and went to their event last year.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Though they did close the Rose Parade shop in 2014. Which shows how long it is since I've been to Cambridge (barring lugging my nephews to the wrong musuem because Mum couldn't remember which one had the dinosaurs, and didn't think to tell me which one she thought we were going to...), because I'm sure I went into it!

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Well, I suppose that is in doubt now following our dictator's announcement on Saturday evening :-(

6. Mark101

They seem to do quite well from students and tourists, plus it's the only camera shop before Lincoln. Peterborough had two Jessops, and Youngs, but alas nothing now.

7. Mark101

8. Mark101

9. Mark101

10. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

Likewise, I remember they had shops in London (I think) it is so long ago that I am blowed if I can remember where it was.

Another company that did disappear off the face of the earth was one that had two shops on the forecourt of London Bridge station but this time I cannot remember the name. I particularly remember them because I bought a lot of Agfa fibre paper from them, something like 10 boxes of 10x12 double wight graded warm tone for not a lot of money.

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Vic Oddens?

12. IvorETower

Yes, I recall Vic Oddens and occasionally popped in there on rare visits to London many moons ago

13. JMK

JMK Well-Known Member

Yep, you got it in one. Did they just go bust or were they involved with the music shop next door called 'Richer Sounds'. There is/was up to a year ago one branch under that name in York.

14. IvorETower

A quick search:
    https://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/closure-of-vic-oddens.20418/

also out of interest?:
    https://rps.org/about/awards/history-and-recipients/vic-odden/

Richer Sounds was/is a chain of "hi-fi" shops and they seem to focus on recently discontinued models. Seems like they buy up the old stocks and pass on much of the savings to customers who don't want/need or cannot afford the latest stuff; they appear to have diversified into AV stuff too. There's not a shop near me so I'm not sure what they are currently up to, though no doubt a search of their web site may uncover more about their present state

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  15. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Richer Sounds are still going...well their email department is as they write to me every week:D