1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera shoulder strap choices

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Rupert49, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think the tripod socket is a bit of a clue, there. I've seen a couple of cases where the lens mount has ripped off the camera and it looks expensive to me.

Done_rundleCams and ChrisNewman like this.
  2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I've had camera & lens go crashing onto the pavement twice, when using the type of sling straps that thread into the tripod socket on the camera :eek: over
    a period of 5-7 years.

Whilst using the Peak Design straps, I've had no incidents and that over 5 years :)

Cheers,

jack

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

I would recommend Optec straps. Worn across the body, a D800 + zoom , can be carried with reasonable comfort for a day, always to hand and if it rains my raincoat covers me and the camera.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  4. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion in this thread and thanks for the various recommendations.

I eventually plumped for a Peak Design Slide and so far I'm really happy with it. To be fair, I've not yet 'worn' it for more than an hour's walk round my village, but during that time I found it perfectly comfortable and I was able to reach down without looking (in the manner of a gun slinger!) to bring the viewfinder straight up to my eye. The thing I'm still getting used to is the zoom mechanism on the 28-300, which is like a trombone slide (same as my 100-400). Not a problem in itself, but the stiffness ring needs to be adjusted one way or the other, depending on if the camera is in use (smooth) or down at my side (tight), otherwise the zoom 'drops' out to the max and looks a bit silly down by my knee somewhere!

5. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Another vote for Optech straps
    Have them fitted to all my bodies
    How good are they, well I only realise the weight of the gripped 5diii/7dii with either 100-400ii or 70-200 2.8 when I either raise the camera to use or remove from my neck. Other than that I never actually consider the weight, which I suppose is a testament just how good they are.