1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera shoulder strap choices

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Rupert49, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I've recently acquired a Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 L IS USM zoom lens which I have mounted on my 5DIII with battery pack. The combined weight is more than I feel comfortable with hanging off my neck alone, so I want to buy a shoulder strap, which would have the added bonus of keeping the camera handy at my side, while leaving both hands free when I'm not using it.

I've seen two straps which might work: Manfrotto Pro Light Camera Strap and any of a number of straps from Blackrapid.

The Manfrotto strap utilises the camera lugs, so nice and secure. However, the Blackrapid appears to entrust the entire camera+lens assembly to the tripod mounting point. My initial thought is: Really? How secure would that be?

However, I thought I'd ask on here for any opinions or even suggestions for alternative shoulder straps. I don't want the full pro type, where there are twin shoulder straps and a linking chest piece .. I'm only a keen amateur! However, whatever I do buy must have a nice thick comfortable pad where the strap lies on the shoulder.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd never hang a camera around my neck other than for a moment if I needed to use both hands and I couldn't put it down. While I have always managed with a conventional strap hung over a shoulder when walking from A to B, I've seen how useful the longer straps with the sliding grip can be. They let you use the camera without phaffing about keeping the strap out of the way. My wife uses one with her bridge camera and I think my son does with his 6D cameras. Using the tripod screw mount seems secure, clearly you need to check it periodically, and I think some makes of strap also have a safety loop that goes through one of the camera lugs for additional peace of mind.

4. dream_police

The one I linked to has a safety strap which I was pleased about as the tripod screw worked loose at one point. I made sure to periodically check it after that.

5. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Peak Design Slide might also be an option to consider. It uses anchors that thread through the normal strap attachment points (or also into a base plate that you can screw into your tripod mount).

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I've been using a Joby ultrafit sling with Canon 7d with 100-400L lens attached. In 7 years I've never had the thread work loose.

7. dream_police

I have a Peak Design wrist strap for my Fuji. A really nicely made strap.

Done_rundleCams and andymcd like this.
  8. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input Everyone, that's really helpful and gives me something further to research. I'll try and remember to come back when I've bought (and used) something that suits.

9. andymcd

andymcd Well-Known Member

Their straps are quite expensive but I find that they are really well made, plus the "slide" part works very well to quickly lengthen or tighten the strap based on cirumstances.

dream_police likes this.
  10. dream_police

Yeah, the slide aspect on the wrist strap is very good. Comfortable to wear too.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have always been slightly uncertain about those straps that rely on one point of connection. However, let's be rational. In a setup which uses both camera lugs, which therefore has two points of failure, and if only one point fails, the camera falls.
    I use a black rapid strap with a D500 and Nikkor 200-500mm lens. the strap is attached to the lens. I don't rely on it. It is just a safety strap. Inevitably I do sometimes rely on it.

12. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Well-Known Member

For years I have used Optech camera straps. Very well made, various models (including sling type) and very comfortable even with hefty camera like Bronica SqAi. Speed Graphic sell them, as do many other outfits.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

14. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I use Optech and Peak Design Slide. They suit me may not suit you.

15. Done_rundleCams

I forgot to mention, Rupert, that I have been using the Peak Design Slide with Pentax K3 and Tamron 70-200/2.8 since March 2016 :)

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've a varied collection of these as well. If any is more useful to me than the others it's the Dual Harness: Dual Harness™ - Two-Camera Harness | OP/TECH USA but all of them do the job as well as or better than the other straps I've used.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

What do folks do if they are carrying two cameras? I have not got this sorted. Sometimes I carry a Nikon D500 with a 200-500 Nikkor plus another D500 with something else.I do not want to look like a photographic nerd.

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

19. Done_rundleCams

Do what I do, Learning, I carry my K3 w/ Tamron 70-200/2.8 with the Peak Design Slide strap across my chest and
    carry my MX (with a Burke Mountain Leather strap ... https://www.facebook.com/burkemtnleather/...or PZ1P and
    whatever lens I have on it across my chest .... they criss-cross ;

Cheers,

Jack

20. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

Just to complicate matters, I’ve come across warnings that heavy lenses should be supported directly, rather than through the camera mount. I have a Sigma 150-500mm, which I assume is similar in size and weight to the Nikkor 200-500mm (1910g, nearly twice the weight of my D800 body or my next heaviest lens, the Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 VR). I’ve only ever taken one body at a time, and if the camera is out of my backpack, I normally carry it by the neck strap. But the 150-500mm was supplied with its own strap. I’ve had problems with the mount on my D800 independently of the 150-500mm, so when carrying the camera with that lens mounted, I make a point of using the strap on the lens rather than the one on the camera.

Chris