1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera phones and image quality

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by nf3996, Jun 15, 2010.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking about replacing my mobile phone and I’d appreciate suggestions on what camera phones give the best image quality. Image quality is important as it would get far more use as a ‘go everywhere’ camera than as a phone – I put £20 on my current PAYG phone three years ago and I’ve still not used that up!

Megapixels aren’t everything, so I’m not necessarily looking for something with the highest MP count – I’m more interested in the quality of the sensor (although I accept all camera phone sensors are miniscule) and the lens. I'd thought about the iPhone, but a good number of reviews of its camera say the results it produces aren't up to much (regardless of all the apps available).

I guess what I'm looking for is a quality small camera with a very basic phone built in, not the other way round. Any thoughts or ideas would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Alan

2. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to have a word with your taylor and get an extra pocket :) and carry a separate phone and camera. Like you I hardly use a mobile phone but I wouldn't compromise photography with a built in camera. Having said that some of the latest phones seem quite reasonable so long as you don't want to use them in low light. You mention the iPhone and up to version 3 the camera has been pretty feeble but the iPhone 4 is much improved.

3. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

It's possible to take great shots with a mobile phone, but the caveat is that it is much harder. You have less control than you would even with a compact, the sensor tends to be smaller than compact sensors and so noise and the size of the images won't be as good as with a compact camera. On the plus side, as you say, you'll always have your phone with you so you'll always have a camera with you.

Check this chap out to see what can be achieved with an iPhone 3GS. I hear that the new iPhone 4 is supposed to be even better.

4. LargeFormat

iPhone 3Gs is 3MP and the iPhone 4 is 5MP. But a web post of about 0.25MP is hardly a test of a camera.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Who said the link was there to show the image quality? I included it to show what can be achieved by a mobile phone ie with a photographer's eye, not a pixel peeper's. The real limitations of mobile phone camera are not the megapixels or even the sensor size. It's the difficulty in being able to capture what you want when you want it.

6. LargeFormat

Sorry, I thought you were responding to the OP

:)

7. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

My LG phone has two quality settings:640x480 and 320x240.
    Any I take cannot be uploaded to the pc,at least,no lead is supplied to do so.The only options are sending via multimedia messaging,which,as a PAYG customer,I don`t have;or via bluetooth,which I don`t have and do not understand. :eek:
    The pics I have taken can be counted on one hand.One I use as wallpaper.

FWIW,I see no point in a camera on a phone.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I was massively underwhealmed by what Bailey achieved with a Nokia last year and the low light promise was somewhat undermined by fact that he had quite clearly used a separate flash for many.
    Not sure many will feature in a future retrospective of his work. web page

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have heard it said by someone more or less trustrorthy that the Sony Xperia X10 is pretty decent.

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

At the moment I have an LG Viewty (Daft name) but I'm thinking of upgrading as well.

TBH, you don't really need more than 5 mp on a mobile, the sensor's too small, and it'll still give you 8x6 prints at 300dpi.

Having said that I'm looking for some image quality, so was considering either the Sony-Ericsson X10 (8mp but I'll let that go) or the Samsung Galaxy S (5mp).

Might be worth looking at GSM Arena for their reviews, they appear to be slightly more discerning than most geeks, even if not up to our exacting standards.

Dave

11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

What is good with anything that has a restricted range of capabilities is that it forces you to really "see" a shot. I didn't think Bailey really saw much, it was more demo. Barney talks about a training exercise using a 50mm prime in the Exhibition lounge and I was abroad with Lee Frost when he only had a Holga with him.
    You can end up with better pics. Not technically perhaps, but creatively.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I think the most I'd want my modile camera for is location referance stills and video.
    Frankly the quality isn't up to much more.
    Dave