1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera for vlogging and general photography (Future navy guy)

Discussion in 'Sony Chat' started by Foxy1, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Foxy1

Foxy1 New Member

Hello everyone,
    In advanced I would like to thank everyone for their help:) First of all I am shortly going into the Royal Navy as an Air Crewie (with a bit of luck and extra braincells) and I would like to purchase a portable and compact camera for my adventures. Aswell as general photos...quick on the trot snaps etc maybe a cheeky selfie, whilst I am finally in and travelling around the globe *hopefully*. I am planning on portable vlogging, maybe daily or weekly and possibly videoing a few reviews of some of my air-soft gear where a mate and I typically just sit down and have a chat to the camera about gear and airsoft weaponry! ;) so wanted a camera that accommodates very well for these objectives.

So far I have loved sony stuff, (I have the Xperia Z ultra phone and am wanting to upgrade to the Z5 in a couple of months...the ultra was unexpectedly large), so I figured I would stick with the manufacturer. So far...two cameras have shone through to me for around the same price groups:

The Sony Cyber-Shot RX100 III: I love the compactness of this camera and the fact that the screen rotates all the way round to give me a good view of my mug when vlogging.

&

The Sony A6000: This design looks a bit more professional and can accommodate a sony microphone on the hot shoe which would be ideal for vlogging and reviews/discussions since sound quality is improved.

Any help and ideas on which one to go for would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

2. thousandthman

thousandthman New Member

Hi Foxy

You seem to have had a lot of views but no replies! I'm far from an expert but thought I'd throw in my experience

I have a Sony A6000 and am fairly happy with it, like you I was attracted to the fact that as a camera it can grow with you as you become more adept. I was looking for something that gave me the control of my SLR but which was small enough to go in my hand luggage to the States. The flip screen also comes in handy for selfies (not that one approves of such vanity!) . Now back in the somewhat less exciting deepest Norfolk I still find that it's a great camera to have in your bag or glove box of your car for those unexpected wildlife shots.

Hope you enjoy whichever model you go for and good luck in the Navy and thanks in advance for the service you intend to give our great nation! May you have fair winds and a following sea.

3. kiko

kiko Well-Known Member

The main thing you want to think about when looking at doing vlogging is that you have decent audio recording. other than the fact you will have to do some video post production, sound is what will generally drive people away the first.

Out of the 2 you have provided the A6000 with the ability to add an audio input looks quite impressive. I've never really looked into the external microphone setups for recording, but have a look for reviews for external stereo microphones and "tie clip mics" (I can't recall their name precisely).

With either camera with adequate lighting will produce nice video quality.