1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Camera for shooting video

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by NorthernMonkey, Sep 11, 2020.

1. NorthernMonkey

NorthernMonkey Well-Known Member

Hello all.

I've found myself shooting a lot more video recently, and finding that my current cameras arent really up to the job.

Being a massive nerd, Ive been videoing trains, and they tend to be fairly big and move pretty quick.

I've got an EOS M which has terrible auto focus, and is limited to 25fps at 1080p. In order to make up for the terrible AF, I've been shooting at small apertures, so the DOF is enough, and as a result need silly high ISOs. I've been using this with the 22mm f/2 and the 18-55 lenses

It's easier to get larger DOF on a smaller sensor, rather than the smaller DOF on full frame, so I think im after a smaller sensor camera, either APS-C or micro 4/3s, which can shoot at 60fps and can manage to track focus while videoing at f/8 or f/11.

I'd also like the ability to plug in an external mic, because all internal mics are dreadful.

Any suggestions and recommendations appreciated

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Panasonic have made video their speciality.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think Blackmagic might have something suitable, they aren’t cheap though.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

What's your budget?

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Irrespective of the equipment you use, it sometimes helps to learn from the work of a master (technique may be more important than hardware). This may be a better option than rushing to buy a new camera.

He used 16 mm film (and probably a clockwork camera), manual focus, manual exposure ... I shot some 16 mm Ektachrome in the 1980s and recall that 3 minutes of film, including processing, cost about £20. He would have loved modern digital video, with the ability to experiment and learn at minimal cost.

https://railwayrecollections.com/sh...ion-volume-1-somerset-and-dorset-railway-dvd/