1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera for magazine work

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by tazio35, Dec 11, 2007.

1. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

A chap on one of the other forums I visit has posted the following:

How much resolution does he really need? I'm thinking a K10D/GX10 would suit well enough. Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

seen as he's getting paid to take the photos I don't know why he can't afford to hire a camera, surely he factored that into the commission?

3. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Are we providing answers for other forums too? :eek:

I find it strange that somebody can obtain a commission for fashion work that will be used for national coverage but a) doesn't have suitable equipment and b) can't afford to hire suitable equipment. Are they doing this as a freebie? Fashion work for national magazines is big business and a £200 hire charge should be nothing compared with the rest of the cost for putting this together.

4. Fen

Fen The Destroyer

^^^ what he said ^^^

Plus, if he's experienced enough to fulfil the contract then he really should know this sort of stuff!

5. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Amazes me the kind of work people think they can take on just because they may once have used their uncle's/brother's/golfing partner's DSLR. Nothing wrong with having a go, but when sums of money are concerned, or when it's a possibility that things can all go t*** up due to lack of experience or decent kit it smacks of deception and punching above one's station. imho....:D

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments above- I think it's astonishing that this person has managed to get the job without any proper thought behind something as basic as the camera they'll be using.
    What about lights, are the staff being used as models, have they signed release forms, are they being coerced etc.
    I know nothing about this side of the "business" but I think I'd have to stop and think before I got too carried away.
    BTW I've got an Olympus AF10 do you think they could use that..

Of course we could all be wrong in our assumptions and this person has probably factored everything in.....

7. tazio35

Well, it's not a photographic one, so I thought I'd ask in one that was.

I don't know the exact details, but I get the impression that this is his big break into this area. It's a local firm rather than a magazine that's commissioned him, so I guess they don't have the budget. The studio is all sorted.

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Perhaps he is not receiving any payment at all and is hoping that it will lead somewhere. Many end users will try and get photography on the cheap, expecting top quality for nothing or peanuts.

9. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

In that case he needs to put his hand in his pocket and invest in his own future...

10. alanS

alanS Well-Known Member

If I'd been asked to do something like this the last thing I'd want to do is do it with a camera I was unfamiliar with. I wouldn't want to look as if I didn't know how the camera worked. :eek: :D

11. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Rock & hard place come to mind... :(

12. tazio35

So, if he's going to buy something, what will actually produce good enough results? Does he need a Eos 1Ds?

13. john_g

john_g Well-Known Member

I think he needs to do four things:

1. Mutilate the front cover of this week's Amateur Photographer and cut out the word 'Nikon' from the D3 image. Stick this on the front of his Pentax**.

2. Practice upsizing the images in Photoshop so they will appear to have come from a more 'professional' camera.

3. Wear a light-meter around his neck and refer to it frequently. If he hasn't got one, improvise - an old remote control with half a ping-pong ball stuck on the back will do just as well.

4. Wear a beret and talk about existential imagery and stuff so, if the pictures aren't any good, they'll think it's just avant garde.

Job done.

** Don't have a go at me about this - I have a Samsung GX-10 and am delighted with it, but it does appear that non-photographers equate Nikon and Canon with being a professional.

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

what he needs to do is put in a box marked Hasselblad...then he would get away with it

15. tazio35

That's genius! :D

16. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

I've produced images acceptable to a picture library using a DL2, so what's wrong with using nis current camera? Up to A4 magazine page size it should do the job pretty well anyway.

17. Ellie527

Ellie527 Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. You can't just pick up a new camera and expect the best results straight away, you need to take some time to familiarise yourself with it, especially if you've never used that make/model before.

I wish him the best of luck. If he knows his current camera I think he should stick with it, or perhaps look at newer Pentax bodies because he'll already have lenses that might be compatible. (Sorry, I don't know much about Pentax). That would keep the cost down a bit. There's no point in hiring one, better to buy on credit and clear the debt with what he earns. Then he can move on to other work with a happy bank balance. ;)

But, if he decides to go for a new camera there are some jolly good deals on at the moment, some with cashback. If he wants to switch brands then there are a loads to choose from, and each has something good about it. I've a little Olympus, other people have got Canon, Nikon, Pentax and so on, we're equally happy with what our cameras will do.

18. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

LOL, :D :D :D :D

The gift of accurate observation is often considered cynicism by those who don't possess it. :cool:

19. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

I found myself in a not dissimilar position a few years ago. I do a lot of architectural photography, hence the 4x5. A client wanted some 600 houses photographed but wanted them on disk. After toying with scanning I decided to take the plunge and bought a digital. However, I'd factored the capital costs into my fee.

20. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

..on a similar note, I remember in a guitar magazine someone wrote in to say they'd bought a Hank Marvin Strat - the same amp as Hank and all the leads, effects as Hank but he couldn't make his guitar sound like Hanks. The answer was simple, He wasn't Hank Marvin.

I suppose you could have all the right camera equipment, flashes/red heads, meters etc. but unless you know how to use them all and arrange products/people etc. then I'd seriously think about giving it a miss. Someone is spending money/time to get product pics - if someone comes along and makes a cock up or produces images that aren't any good they ain't going to be happy, even if someone is giving their time for free to do it.

I graduated in '99 after doing a degree in advertising photography and personally I wouldn't fancy it - I'd have to have my arm severely twisted to even think about it (and have all the gear supplied + time to get used to it) and even then I'd worry about messing it up.

Suppose it all depends on what the company wants in the end - age old saying, you get what you pay for..

My twopenny worth anyway (not wanting to put a damper on anything).