1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera choice help

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Blokewithnoidea, Jun 7, 2013.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

You haven't said what your need for the excessive zoom range is - was my guess correct? The other possibility that should be considered is that the P510 might be faulty in some way. I did intend to post this but it slipped my mind in the rush.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Truth is that with such small sensors, you've very little control over depth of field in any case.

3. 0lybacker

Very true, except that at the tele-end of a 42x zoom your depth of field is gonna be a bit minimal with any size sensor! ;):)

4. 0lybacker

OP prob will not go down the cheapo tele + adapr + mF/T camera but just out of interest, from your knowledge of optics from many years, what pre-set teles around the 300mm & 400mm mark would you recommend for reasonable performance at wide-ish open?

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Yes, although what does 42x actually mean? ;)

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

From memory and personal experience (the one I have is a real dog), the 400s were generally poor - the 500s seem better, regardless of brand (in all honesty, I'm not sure how many actual manufacturers of such lenses there ever were). I've a 300mm Soligor that's not bad, and a 350mm whose name I can't recall that's OK, but I've got a Canon FD 300mm f5.6 FD that will fit any CSC with an adaptor that's better than either.

7. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I think, in this case, it's the 24mm wide end multiplied by 42 which gives the long end of 1000mm (approximations) in 35mm view equivalents.

8. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

The answer to life, the universe, everything.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But times what? ;)

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry, I've just a bit of a bee in my bonnet about zoom ratios being quoted without quoting what the starting point is.

11. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

[This bit to make the post long enough to be acceptable; It's a right pain the diodes]

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That explains a lot. :)

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Me too. Just another number used by the marketeers - and bigger means better - of course :)

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Precisely.

15. Blokewithnoidea

Blokewithnoidea Active Member

Okay, learning curve VERY steep here. I could only find one wheel - the knurled one on the back top right. What other wheel? I thought. I had no idea that the ring around the 'OK' button rotates. What a good thing I joined this forum :) Hopefully, I now have depth of field control. I'm now wondering what the knurled wheel is for.

Have you discovered a way to get the focus to work reliably? I often find it focuses perfectly but then immediately loses it and shows a red 'can't focus' rectangle. If I can get this one solved, I'll be much happier with the camera.

Thank you so much! Maybe I should change my logon name to "doesn'treadthemanual". :)

16. 0lybacker

Check the speccie. Or are you all out of Google or on a 'phone' at the mo?

Probably 24/25/26, maybe 28.

Doesn't matter. ;) If it was any higher, d.o.f. would be even less.

Actually, a 42x zoom on a 38mm {135 equiv} w/a compact or bridge cam doesn't bear thinking about! :eek:

17. 0lybacker

Ohhh yesss! Another Churchill moment. Applies also to the 'spotty herbert' in the dealer who foists it on the unsuspecting customer irrespective of whether it meets their needs, they can hold the camera still at tele-extremes, they will ever use it at extreme tele, etc..

Having said which, I have seen great evidence of the way average punters like to shoot at things from afar :rolleyes:, even when they can move much closer to the subject and obtain a better picture.

18. Blokewithnoidea

Okay. I'm so pleased I joined this forum. I've learnt a load of stuff and received a lot of very rational (and tactful) guidance. Still wondering what 'OP' is and hoping it's not 'Old P...'. I've also learnt stuff about my own camera and am feeling better about my buying choice. Very grateful to all.

I guess that my photography has moved on in the few months I've owned the Nikon p510 and that's why I'm looking for SLR features.

So, the question posed in the original post develops... If I still want to move to DSLR capabilities I'll have to compromise zoom against technical capabilities. Obviously, technical capabilities win. A bit of research is showing 'compact system' cameras. Are these DSLRs? Do they have large sensors? Do they have the technical features I want? Manufacturers' web sites aren't always clear, especially when, like me, you're not sure what all the terms mean.

19. 0lybacker

In my experience that can happen with almost any AF camera (although less with the better/more expensive ones) and it just means that the AF system hasn't found the right contrast or shape/line differentiation to lock onto.

You still haven't told us what you need this extreme tele for. It really does help us to help you.

For example, although I haven't done a lot of bird photography and certainly not serious bird photography, I can foresee an AF situation where you set the AF selection point on the critters eye but the system finds it too small to pick up, or the surrounding feathers & eye are of such an even & similar tone there is no differentiation for a contrast detection system to pick up on.

20. Blokewithnoidea

1. The zoom range is great as I live by the Solent. Lots of good subjects from animals to boats. However, such a massive zoom is a new toy. My previous (and still used) camera has a 16x.
    2. Yes, I know what everybody means when they say, "42x what?".
    3. I don't think the camera is faulty. It's much more likely to be the owner at fault.
    4. Guess what defunct camera retailer I bought the camera from.