1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Camera choice help needed

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Stephen Rundle, Jun 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I have put this in film for obvious reasons, I have no idea where else to put it.

I used to have a Zorki 4, now they are too old to be reliable and to be honest I never liked the tank.

I would like a rangefinder, I don't have Leica money.

Does anyone here have a rangefinder they would suggest.

Thanks

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

FED 3 still cheapish and reliable enough
    Yashica of various sorts.
    Werra [-matic for pref] Weird around -the-lens wind-on, but cracking cameras with excellent interchangeable lenses
    Petri 7s Dirt cheap, make sure they are still working, good fun when they are, reasonable lenses
    Zeiss Ikon Contessa 35mm folder, lovely camera.
    Minolta AL large bright viewfinder, but the rangefinder spot a bit weak. Good lens though.
    or even a Ricoh 500 small, good lens, meter in viewfinder, good fun factor.

Looking on ebay recently, prices of everything seems to have doubled in the last year or two.

S

ps even a FED 2 - Leica III look-alike with quite nice glass.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I will certainly second the Werra suggestion - you'll find quite a lot of love for them here.
    I have a Ricoh 500ME and it feels cheap and plasticky, but has a really nice lens - I believe the earlier models are a lot more solid.
    Olympus 35 of various letters (mine is a 35RC), tiny and well-built.
    Kodak Retina (many models to choose)

Surprised Steve hasn't suggested a Vitomatic - as a Nikon user you'll be used to the weight (feels like it's been machined down from a King Tiger rather than a T34)

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Forgot the Retinas. Prefer the II - the IIIc I have uses the EV system and I do not like it.
    The Vitomatic is heavier than a Leica 3! I don't think they machined it down, I think they just turned the tank inside out. Got put off them by a IIb with a visible but useless rangefinder spot. Much prefer the VitoII!

S

5. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Thanks