1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camera bags...

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Geren, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Good idea.

Way back in the 1960s there was an article in (I think) "Photography" about hiding your camera under your jacket in a similar way. I distinctly remember the picture with the story of a bloke (who was wearing a tightly cut jacket) producing his large SLR and longish lens.

Not really inconspicuous I think! :D

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yeh the pictures are hilarious on many products, the backpacks always look tiny!

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Hiding large hardware under a coat is favourite film trick, as in the original versions of 'Highlander' and 'The Terminator'.

Catriona likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Now I have an urge to buy a new bag and I know exactly who to hold responsible.

SqueamishOssifrage and Geren like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Worked for me in a Force 10 gale fighting my way down to the shore.

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Sorry!

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is no perfect camera bag, I have more bags than cameras and none is perfect. All I will say is buy the best you can afford and don't get hung up on the makers name.

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

As said, there is no perfect bang, just what suits you and the gear you own.

I personally love the Lowepro flipside series. The Flipside 400 AW II is my current bag for the XT4 gear and the good thing is it opens on the reverse side to normal opening. This means two things. 1. Nobody can get into the bag while it's on your back. 2. Keeping the waist belt attached slip it off your shoulders and swing it around to your front and unzip, it's like have a table at waist height to get or replace gear. I have the Flipside 200 too, which is great for the smaller Panasonic gear.

Review here -

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

That "waist" belt is actually a hip belt, the idea being that the weight is transferred to your legs not to your back.

Mark101 likes this.
  11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

It does look very good. It's just more than I'm willing to pay at the moment. Perhaps in a month or so when I get paid for all the work I've been scrabbling to do and which contributed to the breakages my old bag has suffered...

12. Catriona

Chase them! Don't be shy.

13. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

It is worth signing up for notifications from Vitec Imaging who own several brands including Manfrotto and Lowepro as they have special deals when some ranges get updated. Two years ago I bought a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II for less than £50 and also received a free monopod. However it seems that you need a replacement in the near future. Amazon currently have an offer on the Lowepro Flipside 350 AW but it is still £90.

Mark101 likes this.
  14. Mark101

Save for what you want is my motto since you may hate yourself for buying 2nd best.

15. Mark101

Clifton Cameras were selling the black version
    Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II Black for £109 But, it's currently unavailable.

16. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Buy a Domke and be done with it.
    That’s my advice

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There are at least five times as many correct answers as to what is the correct bag as there are photographers...

18. Catriona