1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambo 5x4 with 210mm

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by downfader, Jan 24, 2006.

1. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I have a manfrotto 055pro set of legs and a 141rc head. According to my instructions they will take 6kg. Should I feel that this is unsuitable I'll have to invest in extra gear, but I've been reassured by 3 shops that my tripod setup is fine, thank god! :D

Crikey 7.2kg for the MPP? :eek: I'm so glad I didnt buy one of them now, lol! There again I havent actually bought the thing yet (rubs hands with glee)

2. downfader

Re: Cambo UPDATE!!!

What I think I'll do is sacrifice a sheet to practise with (must go down the local tommorow and see what they have so I'm prepared), which I can also take with me as Steven (SMB) has suggested.

TBH I have no idea what a Grafmatic is, lol! I have heard the name though. :)When I get the camera I will try and do more research on it (as I did with my Ilfords and Kodak No3a).

I will need to get a roll film back later, as some of the Ilford films I like to use dont seem to come in 5x4 (Pan F, Delta 3200, etc). Also Kodak and Fuji only do certain 5x4 sheets, which is understandable - why would a pro or most serious enthusiasts want to use Neopan 1600 in 5x4.

Must start flogging off the junk down the car boot to raise a few pennies towards the little things :D

3. Steve_Bell

Steve_Bell Well-Known Member

I've had my 5x4 Toyo 45A for about 18 months now and thoroughly enjoy using it. Before that I had a Sinar F monorail, but it was just to awkward to carry any distance then reassemble before use. A couple of points, the 65mm F8 Super Angulon mentioned much earlier, it barely covers 5x4 and without a centre filter you will see slight vignetting in the corners. No problem if it's used with a 6x7 back. Quickloads and ready loads, I invested in these before I accumulated plenty of film holders. They are expensive new, but can often be bought cheap off eBay slightly out of date. I have bought these and sheet film when I can at a good price, then they go in the freezer prior to use. I've had them flapping in the wind before, that concerns me. I've also pulled a quickload in a Polaroid 545 holder, and seen a ripple in the film, it wasn't 100% flat. I then put the wasted film in a film holder, it looked 100% flat. Now I tend to prefer film holders, I can carry 8, 16 sheets of film, in my back pack. If needed, I can have another 30 holders in a big cool bag in the boot of the car, or use a Calumet changing tent to unload/load in daylight. They are good, much cheaper than the Harrison tents. When new to 5x4, don't rush into a purchase, research and ask questions re any doubts. If it means missing a bargain, no problem, it could stop you making a wrong purchase, and another bargain will always be along later.

4. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Dan,
    this is a Grafmatic
    http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/grafmatic/

Basically it has 6 holders, each taking a sheet of film. The holders go into a cassette, each time you cycle the darkslide, out & in it moves a holder (septum) to the top and moves the previous top sheet to the bottom. After 6 cycles the darkslide locks. When you want to remove the film you unlock the catch and it opens like a drawer allowing you to remove the 6 septums. They were made by Graflex for use on Speed/Crown Graphic Press Cameras. No longer available new they are easily obtained on ebay although they still cost around £50. I bought mine from the US.

Here's another link.

www.largeformatphotography.info

Richard

5. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

My experience obviously differs from yours. I did find it tricky at first, but I don't have any trouble now. I have observed that not all DDSs are equal though; I have mainly Fidelity but I do have 1 Toyo and that is easily recognised in the dark because it is noticeably easier to load than the others.

I don't have much recent experience with loading 35mm film, but I find loading a DDS much easier than loading 120 film onto a Paterson spiral.

6. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

One point that hasn't come up here is what you do with the exposed sheets when you unload the DDS. I put them into an empty film box (with the word "exposed" clearly written on it) until I am ready to process them (unless I am unloading directly to a developing tank).

I standardly use PanF - I started when its stablemates were FP3 and HP3 - in 120. I would use it in 5x4 if it were available, simply because I like it, but I'm quite accustomed to FP4 now. There is quite a range of films available in 5x4, including stuff you can't get in smaller sizes.

7. downfader

The grafmatic looks interesting. Looks like an old lunchbox :eek: Maybe later after I've bought the other stuff and got settled :)

I've seen http://www.largeformatphotography.info/ many times. The tiny text on the screen is a pain though, but I did get through several hours of reading it, lol! Quite how much I've absorbed is another matter ;)

8. downfader

Exposed sheets - already thought of that. I noticed that Retro Photographic sell "dark bags". I'll be going to try and track some 5x4 down tommorrow, ready for the weekend, and so will ask anyway.

I noticed that Delta 100 is available in 5x4 (according to Ilford), maybe I'll rate that at 50? Maybe not /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Anyway, whatever I do use it will probably be whatever I can a) get my hands on and b) whatever is cheapest. Atleast for the time being until I get my confidence up :)

On Retro Photographic's website it says "Adox CHs 25 5x4 £19.99 50 sheets" Thats very reasonable. Just under 40p a sheet. A roll 135 works out as 8p a neg for my delta 100. I quite like that website.

I have also noticed that HP5 is available, but no referances to Delta 400 which is a sharper film (as far as I can tell). Anyway, I'm babbling now, lol!

9. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Well, sure - but the comparison was with 35mm, which is vastly easier than 120.

10. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi,

I was intending to save the box my film came in for that reason, do you think it's worth keeping the paper to seperate the exposed sheets?

Richard

11. Steve_Bell

Steve_Bell Well-Known Member

I've used Ilford, Fuji and Kodak 5x4 film only, and there was no paper between the sheets, just 3 sections of the box, the film bag and either 2 pieces of card or 1 folded as a stiffener.

One problem that may be encountered when first starting to use LF film is the return of film boxes, these are very useful. You might want to just have a few sheets processed, post them away to a lab, and the box is never returned. Using a local 'walk in' lab I've never had problems with returning boxes. Using Quickloads you don't see these problems, but then only have 2 B&W films avaiable. If you buy Fuji film in 50 sheet boxes, the box contains 2 sealed bags of 25. Is this common with other film manufactures boxes of 50 or 100?

12. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

No I don't think so, you would still have to make a very big enlagerment inorder to see the grain even if you could get it in sheet film, one idea could be to push HP5 a few stops.

13. downfader

I found two films that come close, one was indeed HP5, and the other was Rollei R3. The R3 costs a fortune, but I still want to try it. :)