1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cambo 5x4 with 210mm

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by downfader, Jan 24, 2006.

1. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

Re: Cambo UPDATE!!!

You could also try Polaroid Type 55

Type 55

I tried it at college and it is brilliant! :D

2. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

I thought they were stopping that range? Or was that the one you could move the emulsion about on? Never thought of polaroid. I know Warhol loved it, and I've seen loads of flower shots by people using it.

Probably best I keep it as simple as possible for now though, lol! I keep confusing myself at the best of times :D ;)

3. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

Quickloads and Readyloads come "ready loaded" as it were in their own paper sleeves, with built-in darkslide. Pop them in the special holder, put 'em in the camera, pull out the darkslide, expose, return darkslide and repeat as often as necessary.

The gains to using them are:
    No dust from loading
    No loading of darkslides
    Saving of size and weight in the field

The downside is the cost. They are considerably more expensive than "normal" cut film. And you need a special holder, non-interchangeable between the two at about £100 new.

I read recently that the film base used for film that is perforated for tearing is not the same as that used on conventional film, and has a much shorter expected life. Fuji Quickloads come into this category. (You have to rip off the top and bottom in the darkroom before you can load the sheets into my dev tank.)

4. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

I think you're thinking about SX-70 (Time-Zero)! They discontinued it about 2 weeks after I'd read a very interesting article on it and bought a Polaroid camera to give it a go! Typical!

I don't think they'll discontinue Type 55 any time soon...there are too many pros (particularly for portraits and still-life) still using it (the ProCentre has boxes of the stuff in stock, such is demand)! It's certainly worth a look at...just type "Polaroid Type 55" in to Google and you'll find load of info!

5. pilliwinks

It's a pleasant drive from here (M25 excepted) - I know because I've collected an enlarger from there. But if you do go, make sure that you have the phone number with you to get directions when you arrive. Unless they've moved you'll be looking for an unmarked private house. When I arrived in the village, there was a postman about and I got directions from him...

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If you need any more DDSs, Mifsud have used Fidelity 5x4 DDSs at £7 each or 2 for £10. I added four to my order for a lens last summer, so the postage was effectively nil.

7. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Was this the camera from Dale Photographic?
    Leeds is a bit of a trundle from Sotton - though the shop is only round the corner from the train station. I bought my F4E Nikon from there a few years ago, the shop is only small, but has a lot of things that made my mouth water at the time. Good place.

8. downfader

LOL! Just after I asked about the quick load I found the info on Kodaks website. What a twit I am, lol! :D Mind you Kodak made me hunt, but theres even the benefit of an animation with sound!! :eek: Very good!

Good tip about the phone number! I shall write that down before I go. Oh and Paul, the guy from SH Darkroom, said he'll throw in a developing tank for nothing! :eek: It transpires that the camera comes with 6 film DDS's, and I think he said they might be quick load of some sort, but I'll find out when I get there. For that money it doesnt matter.

I'm dead chuffed :D I'll post up a pic of me with the camera when I get it ;)

9. downfader

Time Zero. Yeah thats the one. I might try the 55, it depends on how I get on with the camera though :)

10. downfader

Thanks Malcolm, I'll have a look a little later. I have a big list of film I want to try so they might come in handy. :D

11. downfader

That was the one I first considered, Rhys. I'm buying a cheaper one from elsewhere now (and the place is easier to get to, lol!), not in quite as good nick, but it does come with more to get me started, which is a considerable bonus :) I could be taking pictures by the weekend ;)

12. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi,
    yes 5x7 is inch, but as the Meopta is European it's refered to as 13x18cm. What do I like to shoot, well landscapes as I like the outdoors/mountains etc.

Re the readyload film, you'll need to check on Robert Whites website but I think that while Kodak only works properly in a Kodak holder and Fuji in a Fuji holder, both will work in a Polaroid holder, like I say do check, theres a test/comparison in the film holder section.

What type of photography are you doing ?

Heres a couple of sites you might like if you haven't been already.
    www.butzi.net
    www.terragalleria.com

Cheers, Richard

13. downfader

Cool. I have various Welsh and English mountains on my list of places to see and photo. Those websites are pretty good. I've only just skimmed the surface of the Butzi site but it looks fantastic. :D

I'm doing a bit of everything, I mainly love taking pics of my home town, Southampton, and photographing flowers and still life setups. I plan on doing some more unusual still life a bit later, but it's going to cost me money to set it up (its like building a miniture film set, lol!). Southampton can be such an ugly place to photo though - but this often leads to interesting pics. Despite the rough areas there are scenic places, just like any other city.

14. pilliwinks

My monorail 5x4 weighs just over 4kg, so your Cambo won't be much heavier. I don't have a camera bag that will hold it (not even my Lowepro back pack) so I normally carry it in one hand, my tripod in the other, and use a photographer's waistcoat to hold exposure meter, dark slides, loupe and what have you. I wrap my focusing cloth round my neck. Provided that there's an easy way of holding it, you should be fine on location.

One thing I did find when I started going out with a 5x4 is that it is unusual (at least in the places I go) not to have people stop and talk to you about the camera, and I now always carry a fogged sheet of film to show people.

I've had a cheery "I've got an Ebony" by Whitby harbour, a chat with a professional photographer when I was set up in the Shambles in York, and I even got someone at the Weald and Download Museum interested enough to say that he'd keep his eyes open for a 5x4...

I hope that you're going to enjoy your new venture, and the movements should be a real help with close ups.

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I haven't got the best of memory, but I don't think I've seen any mention of a tripod for your new baby? Are you planning on hand holding it?
    (For the record, the MPP monorail weighed in at 7.2kg on the bathroom scales and is wobbly on my previously trusty Benbo Mk1. My MPP Microtechnical Mk VI is a mere 3kg, and that plus Benbo goes around in my granny shopping trolley.)

16. eryri

eryri Well-Known Member

With Quickload (Fuji) and Readyload (Kodak) systems, each sheet of film comes in it's own cardboard envelope. The envelope is slotted into the holder where a catch grips the bottom clip. You then withdraw the envelope, leaving the film in the holder. After you've made your exposure, you push the envelope back in (covering the film), then press the release button and pull it out complete with the film.

The beauty of this system is that there's no chance of getting any dust or dirt on the film, and it's far less bulky and a lot lighter than traditional holders. I normally go out with a Fuji holder and 20 sheets of 'Quickload'. Imagine how much space and weight the equivelent traditional holders would take up? The downside is the cost; 20 sheets of Provia 100F 'Quickload' (1 box) is around £60

AFAIK, you can use Fuji 'Quickload' film in the new Kodak holder, but the Fuji holder will not accept Kodak 'Readyload' films.

Have a look here HTH

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well, maybe - but there are issues with film flatness in the Polaroid holder, sadly. :(

18. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

'Fraid not - well, not in my experience. Seriously, loading 35mm film onto a reel is fairly trivial. Loading 5x4 sheet film into a DDS is, or can be, extremely finickety, although it gets a lot easier with practice.

19. downfader

People stop and talk!? In southampton thats usually to tell you to pee off out of the way, LOL ;) Infact I'm so used to the miserable [bleeps] that when I do go to the country and someone says "Hello!" or "Good Morning!" I often end up checking behind me. :D

I was in a local woodland taking pics of fungi in 2004 and this fella approached from the distance with a bemused look on his face. My first reaction was to be ready to defend myself, but he simply walked up and asked "How many mega pixels is that, then?" At the time I was using a film camera and he seemed really shocked that someone in their 20s should be doing so. He seemed nice enough though.

When that fella said he had an Ebony werent you jealous. I would be /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Fine looking cameras. :rolleyes:

I hope I enjoy it too. There are so many things I want to capture, the list is endless, even here. I have a book in the attic of Above Bar Street (the high street in Southampton) and it has all these very old photographs by a local, who sadly I forget the name of. These pics are from Victorian England and now I think of it were probably taken with some kind of plate camera. Oneday I'd like to amass a similar quantity of material, but of this age. :D

20. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Dan,

The way I load my Film Holders is probably not recommended due to the potential risk of scratching the emulsion but at this stage I'm prepared to risk it. I found that the hard part was getting the film into the folded over sides/slots. I got around it by withdrawing the darkslide only far enough to bring it level with the top of the slot, when you slide the film in, the darkslide guides it into the slots perfectly. I loaded 7 holders before going out yesterday (14 sheets) everyone was seated perfectly, easy to tell once it's developed. If you are worried about the risk of scratches it would be easy enough to make a false darkslide/guide with a nicely bevelled/polished edge to guide the sheets into place, then remove the guide and fit the proper darkslide. The proceedure is harder to describe than do. Can your camera take a Grafmatic? they're really east to load, and they take up about half the space of 3 Film-Holders for the same amount of film.

Cheers, Richard