1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Sigma SD14 users

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Angela_Nicholson, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Angela_Nicholson

Angela_Nicholson Well-Known Member

Dear SD14 users,

Tell us in around 100 words why the SD14 is the camera for you and we just might include your thoughts in our free supplement with our 17th Nov issue.

Here’s an example to give you an idea of the sort of thing we are looking for:

The Nikon D40

I know a six-million-pixel resolution is so ‘yesterday’ but there is something I really like about the Nikon D40. A big part of the attraction is that the camera body is really small, so when it’s fitted with a fixed-focal lens the whole package is light and compact. The other thing though is the image quality. It’s quite noisy beyond ISO 400, but the noise is crisp and sharp – like a nice film grain. Post-capture processing is great too - you can print direct with colour effects, or just get started on a creative process that you’ll complete on the computer.

Email your review asap to:

angela_nicholson@ipcmedia.com

and please include your real name as well as forum name (if you have one)

Thanks in anticipation.

Angela

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Shouldn't that be "calling both Sigma SD14 users"? :D

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

No, there were two Nick but one died and they only let the other one out on Tuesdays and even then he has to be under strict medical supervision! :eek: ;)

BigWill

4. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

Oh come on guys!... It does give you some very good pics in the right hands and with the right mindset, even with some very average lenses. Having said that I only own the SD10 but the software for it is the same. I haven't seen any guys in long white coats around corners for some time now.

[​IMG]
    Sigma SD10 with Sigma 24-70mm f3.5-5.6 HF lens

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Sorry Luis, I wasn't knocking the camera, just that I don't actually know anyone that uses an SD14, and certainly none of the regulars here. I remain very interested in the Foveon concept, even though I'm not convinced we've seen the best from it yet.

6. FujiSigmaNolta

I know, I was joking (in great part). I love the cameras but I am also very aware of their flaws. Anyway, time for the meds... :D

7. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

Think you might be better off postng this request in the Sigma user forum on DPreview as after you review of the SD14 earler this year doubt very much if any of them actually bother with the AP forums or mag.
    Saying that i would still like to see a re-review of the SD14 with the latest fimware and at the SD14's new price point £699 probably much better value for money now and also Sigma are giving £200 cash back on any SD14 brought untill Feb 2008
    Picture quality if shot in raw and processed with the correct raw converter SPP3 or 2.3 and the latest version of ACR 4.2 or 3 really do show just how good the SD14 is, would respectfully request that people have a look at the Sigma users gallery on PBase http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr

aquatarkus

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Never read an AP review, have you? They don't score on value for money...

9. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

The last Ap review I read was in (approx) 1978-80

10. aquatarkus

aquatarkus Member

unfortunatly yes i have read quite a few, they don't score on quality either

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So what on Earth are you here for? To troll? :D

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I smell a fanboy...........

13. FujiSigmaNolta

What for, for another hurling contest of near abusive posts? Don't get me wrong I like the Sigmas, but some people can't control themselves.

I am on the DPreview forums including the Sigma forum (with this very username) and I still bother with the AP mag and this forum.The mag in particularly as been around for over a century,so if you choose to ignore it it is your problem.The amount of expert knowledge combined with the way it is communicated accross to its target audience (the amateur/begginer) is outstanding.

I am realistic about what the Sigmas can do and cannot do, as most other users in the Dpreview forum are and pretty much we all just live with it and forget about reviews. The reality is the Foveon is still a very new evolving technology, a very good one but it has flaws. At the end of the day a camera is a tool and is up to you to get the best out of that tool. As you know, there are users producing high quality, outstanding work from them.

The reviews are only there as guidance (particularly useful to begginers, for whom the Sigmas are surely not for), not absolute truth. Then the choice is yours on about if it fits your kit / photography style. It is, in the end, subjective.

For me, my Sigmas finish off my kit nicely, so I have a camera for different purposes (unfortunately digital is not like film, one camera, different films) and it fits a particular type of work I like. So there you go.

It's not Judgement Day. Just live with it.