1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Call me stupid.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by Grierson, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

I expressed concern in an earlier thread that there did not seem to be a way of locking the focus point on the GZ7, once set, so that subsequent contact with the touch screen would not move it. Although Mike's cure solves the problem I was still concerned about how the focus point got moved as, even at my extended years, I don't consider myself particularly ham fisted. Try as I might the point would be moved as I put the camera to my eye. The answer of course was right on the end of my nose! Literally! Having a lazy eye from birth I have to always use my left eye. Bringing the camera up to the eye caused my nose to touch the screen. It has taken me weeks to discover the reason. Stupid or what! Now just tilting the viewfinder a few degrees from the horizontal ensures that my nose does not go anywhere the screen. Touch screens don't you just love 'em. :)

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

OK, Stupid.

:D

Still, you solved the problem yourself, so you're not quite at the bottom of the gene pool. I met a bloke on holiday last year who was having a similar problem. He solved it by draping his hanky over the screen. It looked weird but it seemed to work for him.

3. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Thanks! :D

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Who was stupid? You or the camera designer?

Cheers,

R.

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Actually, the camera designer in the case of the GX7 was clever enough to provide an articulated eye-level viewfinder which provides a solution to the problem.

Eric

6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

The camera dealers have seen it all.

One store, may have been in London, had a lady complaining about the completely blank pictures on the first roll of film with a new manual SLR camera. Aah! Assistant, having checked the camera functions were OK, immediately got down to showing her how to load film (although she was no stranger to 35mm) and to check it was winding on properly. She bought the demo roll and went away happy.

When that roll was developed she came back to the shop with the prints, another 36 perfect blanks. The assistant checked over the camera again, was about to show the lady how to load the film when he remembered he done this before and she had gone away with a perfectly loaded film, wound on to frame 1 and ready to shoot. Instead he put the camera in its ERC and asked the lady to show him how she used the camera. She undid the case lifted the camera to her right eye, winding on as she did so, and without taking the lens cap off, photographed the assistant while gazing at him over the top plate with her left eye.

It is said to be a true story and appeared, IIRC, in SLR Camera magazine in the 1970s.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  7. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

.....or there was the photographer (American as you might guess) who complained to me, while we stood on the deck of a ship crossing the Tasman Sea admiring the night sky, that she didn't think the flash on her expensive SLR was "powerful enough to reach the moon".

8. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

They did far better than just that.

At the press of a button (or two) you can simply disable the touch screen but retain it for viewing - if you wish. So there is no need to even swivel the viewfinder.

Or, you can turn the eye sensor on so that when you bring the EVF up to your eye, it takes over from the screen - so even with the touch screen enabled, you cannot accidentally change anything when the viewfinder is up to your eye - swivelled or not.

You can then further personalize what you can or cannot do on the screen with the touch enabled.

So you are right, the designers knew what they were doing.

Regards, Mike

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Weren't there several photographs of some pretty celeb doing this only a year or so ago, with a Leica, while 'photographing' the press pack.

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Possibly, but with a Leica M-series you can at least see through the viewfinder, even with the lens cap on. Not strictly a fair comparison.

Cheers,

R.