1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Call me a snob.................

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Stephen Rundle, May 17, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I don't disagree, but I wouldn't put an Ishoot on a D4s any more than I would buy re molds on a Rolls

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Are remoulds still sold for cars? Cheap imports from China made them au unattractive buy. Personally I would drive on neither, it's all you have holding you to the road. I have seen remoulds that have split apart and many of these cheap tyres are are a quick route into a ditch when the road is anything but dry. I have wondered how many accidents they are the real cause of.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I have a D3200 as a back up, I have the Nikon battery and a Duracell, the latter is fine, afaik Duracell camera batteries are actually sold licensing the name, having no actual relation to the black and copper coloured cells.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Never heard of "Bang and Olson" but Bang and Olufsen made most of their equipment with the exception of individual electronic components.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Which is why you can still get it repaired.

I have a friend who collects B&O hi-fi (one in every room of two-bedroom his flat so far!) and has had to have a couple of items fixed.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I believe flash systems like Godox, Yongnuo and Neewer do everything Canon & Nikon do for about a fifth of the price with what is now only marginally less reliability. You can get a couple of speed lights and a transmitter for the price of one flash from Canon or Nikon.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem getting Quad Hi-Fi repaired, or indeed repairing it myself.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

How about remoulds on a 747 or A380? The only aircraft I can be sure didn’t use them was Concorde.

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I remember when the Quad 404(?) power amp was released - they were so proud of the feed-forward distortion control that they let Wireless World publish the complete circuit diagram. A friend who was a trainee at the BBC told me one of their techies was knocking out circuit boards for it. Just about all the people in the department had home built 404s soon after. :cool:

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It was/is the Quad 405, there is one about a couple of feet from me as I type, there is also a 306 and in the lounge 707 all current dumping amps. I have circuit diagrams for all three.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Presumably these were of much higher quality than some of the junk that was sold for cars. I remember vividly a friend had some "Panther Grand Prix" radial remoulds, every last one suffered from tread splitting away from the carcass. Truck and bus remoulds were (may still be) available, notably though major operators tended not to use them.

Also some makers sold imperfect new tyres without safety faults as seconds or RQ (Remould Quality).

12. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I have never associated B&O with hi-fi. Vastly over priced in terms of sound quality IMHO.

As for the OP, perhaps you should try some of these other brands, you may be pleasantly surprised. I use Canon rather than Nikon, the top of the range speedlite is approx £600. You need to be serious to spend that amount on a flashgun.

13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I have a box of varied flashes I've aquired over the years - a couple are even automatic. The only one I bought new was a Panasonic, in 1970, to fit my Agfa Isomat Rapid. On the rare occasion I need a flash, I just grab one out of the box.

14. Stephen Rundle

Actually you know that if you want it someone sells it I can tell you re built brake pads/disks are available at half price, repaired tyres, and so on :(

15. Stephen Rundle

Check all of my posts I don't think i do bad for an Autistic Aspergers dyslexic person so I made one mistake :( I will try harder next time

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It used to be common practice for brake shoes to be exchange items, not really a problem as the metal parts can be safely used over and again, discs can be skimmed to take out slight distortion or wear, then having a shorter life than a new item. Tyres can be repaired, we get punctures repaired frequently, its fine so long as the carcass is undamaged. I did once go with a neighbour to s local seller of "part-worn" tyres, no way would I have driven on these, heavy vulcanised repairs to sidewalls on tyres that only had at best 2mm of usable tread, they actually worked out more expensive in terms of potential miles remaining than a new tyre!

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not “were”, they are of very high quality but a carcass will be rejected for even the slightest damage. Also, aircraft tyres don’t get kerbed, which damages the sidewalls, and tend not to meet many potholes. They are pretty pampered compared to the average car tyre.

18. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Bizarrely, we used to have a tractor mounted yard scraper that was made from old aviation tyres.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

presumably a Trident...

20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Can't help it.

Not strong willed

You're a snob.

:p

Stephen Rundle likes this.