1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Cable camera system or drone?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Phantombat, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Phantombat

Phantombat Member

One of my friends have been an ambassador for some company that builds a "cable camera system". You can see the video below to understand the product.

The problem is that I really want to buy a product that can help me film motion shots in a dense forest area close to where I live (as I am a mountainbiker). However, I am not sure if a drone or this cable cam thing would be the best thing for me. From what I have read, crashing a drone into a tree in 20-25 km/hour is not a very good idea...

1) Have anyone tried something similar as seen below?
    2) Do anyone have anything to suggest if I want to take "drone shots" in a forest? :p

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is this online marketing?

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The rules on hobbyist drones, in Europe at least, require they remain in sight of the operator. This may be a problem. Strikes me as not the place to start. I suspect the rugged terrain videos are mainly taken with commercial drones by pilots licensed to fly using onboard instruments.

4. Phantombat

Phantombat Member

If you mean that I try to "flog any product", then no... I am not affiliated with this company, but I know one of the ambassadors.

Ooh, I did not know about this rule. However, I would never dare to fly a drone without actually seeing it with my own eyes. It's a shame that it currently isn't any products that fit my need, but this cable cam kit might be the best option. It's quite an investment though.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Have you seen the Ed Pratt videos on YouTube? He has a 360 degree camera that makes the pole disappear.

6. Learning

The cable cam is certainly interesting but I would prefer a feature that prevents the machine falling if the pulleys jump the cable. It would seem that this device could fly a much heavier camera than most amateur drones. One would certainly need to be aware of maximum safe cable tension. It seems to me that this is not a product to be indiscriminately sold to 'Joe public' . A certain amount of engineering nous might be needed to use it without risk to other equipment.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Depending on how high you want to position the camera a simple solution might be an all terrain tripod like a Benbo with a modified monopod on top, That would give you up to 12 feet. Fit an electric panning unit like the one Jessops used to sell and connect the camera to your phone. Not as good as a drone or a pulley system but with the right camera you have pan and zoom for very little money and a lot less complexity.

This is the pan/tilt I have which cost me less than £20 a few years ago...

Electric pan and tilt with Nikon D600 P1030539.JPG

8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

As a slight digression, I recall the filming of a picture called 'The Wanderer' back in the early nineties. The film was based on an Anglo Saxon poem, and was set (I think) around the Ninth Century.

The director was filming a battle scene and, as well as conventional cameras pointing at the action, he'd also arranged for one of those cable-mounted cameras to move across the battlefield to get a high view of the proceedings.

Everything was going swimmingly until one of the warriors in the middle of the battle caught sight of something coming towards him out of the corner of his eye and smartly parried it away with his sword!

Cheers, Jeff

nimbus and daft_biker like this.
  9. Learning

Not enough tension. The camera sagged into the action.
    The idea is good but the idea of suspending over k£2 of camera and lens on it not so. Looks great for go pros. I believe that you get a good discount if you buy them ten at a time. Go pros can be considered consumables if you destroy enough of them, otherwise expendable, but never on the capitol budget.