1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying used lenses...

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by A.B-C, Mar 20, 2021.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The biggest "risk" in buying used lenses is the well known issue of compatibility between Nikon/Canon bodies and Sigma lenses. If the lens you are interested in was manufactured more recently than the camera body you wish to use it with all should be well. If the lens is older than the body there may be a problem. The difficulty of course is that one cannot tell exactly which model of any advertised lens is being advertised.

I have said before that Sigma make excellent lenses but the compatibility issues prevent me from even considering used Sigma lenses and the cost of new Sigma lenses, when compared to used Nikon equivalents is rarely sufficient for me to worry about. Not that I buy many lenses.

A.B-C likes this.
  2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I'm glad to say that has never been any concern in my 200+ used lens purchases, perhaps because I don't own Canon or Nikon bodies :)
    I have had one where the mount wasn't as listed & several others where it wasn't what I'd guessed it to be when it was sold as unidentified.
    Low contrast, dodgy contacts, sticky movements & seized filters have been issues on a few, but most of the time I have little interest in the electronic communications anyway.

A.B-C likes this.
  3. Michal

Michal Member

I bought second hand lenses as well as brand new. Optics don't really get old same way as camera bodies do. A quality lens will always sell even if you want to sell it later on.

A.B-C likes this.