1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Buying lenses from Switzerland (eBay)

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Feb 11, 2020.

1. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The car dealer (garage) has to maintain premises and pay staff. A car is indeed bought in and marked up, garages generally using either CAP or Glass price guides. It has to be prepared to resale standard mechanically and cosmetically, as well a warranty has to be financed, the garage is liable to deal with faults that could be deemed to have existed or have been developing at the time of sale. They also have to pay VAT and cannot reclaim VAT from reconditioning work. So they may add £1k+ but it's certainly not all profit. The last two vehicles I bought, one was from Motorpoint, the other (a fairly cheap Fiat Punto) from Ebay on a private sellers classified ad. I would consider dealers are not necessarily the best source for cheaper used cars, but you do have legal recourse in the event of problems.

2. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

When I think back to my youth
    The internet wasn’t around. You had to either buy from high street, exchange & mart or yellow pages. I can distinctly remember buying from the classified section of the evening paper. It was a telescope swift 831. I had been into town and seen the shiny ones in shop windows but couldn’t afford them. The swift I bought for £25 (still have it) including all eyepieces, cast iron stand was optically far superior to ones I had been looking at at 10x the price due to having Takahashi front cell. That was when I realised I could get more for my money. .After that I rarely ever bought new items. I would buy a used camera. Trade it in for a derisory amount against another used model that was not far short of new prices but at the time it was a saving. That’s how the cycle began...cameras, lenses etc etc. when the free ads & Ad mag arrived it was bargains galore, then I discovered eBay and I’ve never looked back. The savings over buying from a dealer are ridiculous.
    Unless I find a mint example of the 100-400ii at under £1000 private, I’ll probably buy new from canon promotions. What I won’t do is buy used from a dealer....that is just never going to happen again....not
    I'm just not prepared to line the middleman’s pockets.
    Each to their own

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I thought dealers had to declare themselves as such on eBay?

4. Bazarchie

Buying direct from Canon must be the most expensive option? The cash back will be the same as the dealers offer but the price will not be discounted.

MPB have a used 100-400ii for £1,019.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Seems around the benchmark. That are a straight £1K at CEX (3 in group stock).

6. pixelpuffin

I will never again buy anything from CEX
    I followed a members advice here on the forum a few years ago and purchased what I thought was a ef 100f2 - instead they send the 100mm f2.8 macro...loose inside a Jiffy bag...nothing else!! It rattled like a can of marbles and was duly returned.
    Also CEX made the news a week ago buying stolen goods then when approached by the real owner who recognised and provided them with both box and receipt (I think) they refused to hand over!!
    Lovely....I’ll stay well clear. I always thought they bought and sold stolen goods...now it’s been confirmed to be true.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

That sort of thing will never happen on eBay, especially if the item sells for less than normal.

8. Bazarchie

Let’s hope the CEX lawyers don’t find this thread.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well Ebay sellers never pack badly, I received lens in a non-padded manilla envelope, even more surprising was that RM accepted it to start with and it was unscathed. People never attempt to sell anything dodgy on Ebay of course. I would be careful over making allegations against a large retailer, it is perhaps inevitable that the occasional item might slip through in the number of transactions that are made, they do require ID when buying in.

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Let's unpack that - having a box and a receipt, which don't have serial numbers on them, is evidence of pretty much nothing. I've got a 6D box and receipt, but I wouldn't expect CEX to hand any items over. If I had a police crime number, and they had the serial numbers as part of the crime report, then I'd expect a call to them would have been the right approach.

Any store which buys second hand goods (including charity stores which accept second hand goods) are likely to be carrying at least some stolen products. CEX probably does the legal minimum that it needs to do (which I think is some form of ID from the seller).

Individual CEX's are probably different, some better and some worse than others.

I'd never buy any camera gear from CEX either, but that's because their testing regime when they buy something isn't rigorous enough.

11. pixelpuffin

We all know eBay sells stolen goods
    Sometimes ( not always) it’s easy to spot. By and large I ask probing questions before buying - if it sounds iffy I walk away

most boxes of expensive items Do carry the serial numbers of the item
    All my photo gear boxes match my items as do my iPhone boxes, and expensive power tool boxes etc etc
    The irony is CEX and there ilk claim to have checks in place to prevent buying in stolen goods - clearly the checks aren’t being followed.
    I just don’t like the shop...it all just looks dodgy. Each to their own.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I think you will have to get used to it because I expect more of that sort of store to be opening as people buy on line and sell off line.