1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Buying lenses from Switzerland (eBay)

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Feb 11, 2020.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Looking to buy a bigger zoom lens for sons soccer matches
    I currently own the 70-300L which has been magnificent over the past 3yrs
    However this season my son has played on a larger pitch which really showed the limitation of the 300mm end.
    Next season he will be on a even bigger pitch. I want more telephoto
    So considering the newer 100-400 is ii

The prices are frightening - even 2nd hand prices are still well over £1000 and are often described as “used” “dust” “paint chips” etc etc
    For a grand I want peace of mind so will probably buy new. The 70-300 came from canon Cashback via Jessops 2yrs 0% was brilliant as was the 2yr warranty.
    Problem is it’s just shy of £2K EEK!!
    eBay sellers in Switzerland are offering these New, no import duty for £1200..... that’s a massive saving and well worth investigating.

Hence, has anyone here bought from the Swiss sellers? What are your thoughts?

p.s the 70-300 is still like new, it’s now mine and I’d like to keep if I can.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose the usual “caveat emptor” applies. I wouldn’t do it unless I had some kind of insurance against the deal going south. Also: Why no import duty? Switzerland is outside the EU although there is some kind of trade agreement. I’d check to see if you do need to pay VAT and duty on your import. eBay vendors have been known to lie...

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Import duty isn't a problem - it is possible to look up exactly what is liable to duty (video equipment, some lenses) - but digital camera equipment was zero rated last time I looked (long time ago). VAT is the main thing. Many grey importers place the responsibility for paying VAT on the person buying which means you should phone up HMRC and arrange to pay them 20%. Chance of getting caught is low but you forfeit the goods and get fined if you are.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Other grey retailers have a similar price.

Sell the 70-300?

Are you currently using a FF or cropped?

5. pixelpuffin

Yes, I'm still using my 7d. Really wanted the newer 7dii, but being tight I opted for a 80d - which I just cannot warm too. I have the 70d which strangely I really like. But the 80d build quality totally sucks. It's not even 1yr old yet the damn thing squeaks everytime I pick it up.

I really don't want to part with my beloved 70-300L. I truly love that lens and I'm hoping I'll use it on my 6d.

To be fair to the old 7d, the pictures I took at Saturdays match look fantastic. the light was gorgeous which allowed me to use much lower ISO than I usually have too. The lens (70-300) never fails to surprise me....maybe I got lucky and got a good copy. But as I position myself at the corner, then sweep the whole pitch the 300 end is struggling. I did consider buying a 300 f4 is and adding a 1.4x (I have one) but I read its 90's design is completely blown away by modern optics, plus the IS is only 2 stops compared to the 4 stops on the 100-400.

The season doesn't start until September, I'll use the lens I have for the next couple of months. Just wanted to sort this issue early ready for next season.

The reason I want the newer 7dii is due to the fact I now always shoot in manual with auto iso. But the 7d is so old it doesn't allow for exp' comp. That would have helped last Saturday as the second half was directly into the sunlight. The camera did a commendable job, but being able to tweak the exposure would have saved alot of editing .

6. PeteRob

The converter will reduce AF speed but I’m surprised that you found such negative comment on the 300 F4 IS. Generally the most recent L zooms have come up to the standard of the older primes. I have the 300 F4, the 400 F5.6 and the 100-400 Mk ii. I’d say the results were fairly similar. The IS on the zoom is very good but it is a heavy lens. You’d certainly know you’d been holding it after 90 minutes.

7. pixelpuffin

Funny you say that, Last Saturday I found myself cursing the weight of the Gripped 7d + 70-300L
    In your honest opinion would the results from say the 300f4 is + 1.4x on the 80d along with the above set up give results ? Its easy to simply keep buying bigger and better. But Its just 1 day a week. If I can achieve long shots with the 300f4 & converter I will definitely try it. If it turns out to be too slow and inferior IQ then I guess I'll have to bite the bullet on the 100-400.

8. Bazarchie

I have a 300 f4 l is and have recently acquired 400 f5.6 l. The 300 is excellent given its age, cannot yet comment about the 400. I also have a Sigma 150-600 C, which is very good but requires decent light as does the 400. It is a lot cheaper than the Canon 100-400L is ii.

Sell your 70d and 80d? There are only so many cameras you can use.

9. PeteRob

I can’t say I’ve much experience with the x1.4 and the 300 F4 together. I’ll check LR to see if I can find anything to jog my memory. I bought the 400 F5.6 L when I started with bird photography so there’s not much need to use the converter. I’ve not used a Canon APS-C body either so I can’t guess at the handling.

10. PeteRob

. You’ll like it, especially for birds in flight!

11. pixelpuffin

One will go Steve, But I'm hoping to get video footage next season as well as stills.Hence the 70d and 80d.
    The 7d series can't touch either for video work.
    Sure I read the 7diii is expected this spring..hope so...prices of the 7dii will plummet ;)

What did you use the 300 for? Whats it like compared to modern lenses.
    As for sigma....I'm just not interested. I'd sooner pay a little more and buy canon. Once owned sigma and tokina fast lenses..….Lets just say I don't have fond memories

12. Bazarchie

I hope so as having a 300 l and a 400 l seems a bit excessive. I just wish I could hold a long lens more steady.

13. PeteRob

I use mine when I want a 300! It is a “modern” lens - there isn’t a lot to be done with a telephoto design. The Mk ii and mk iii Canon telephotos have some spectacular IS these days but at 300 mm and 400 mm it has gone into the F2.8 versions. The bigger market these days prefers zooms.

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

You might be disappointed at the increased 'magnification' of 400mm compared to 300mm. If you like your existing 70-300, but are not happy with the size of cropped images (probably only important if doing large prints), I'd be tempted to look for a decent 1.4X or 2X extender adaptor.

A few seconds on the Park Cameras website showed some of the choice available: prices from £99, including for Canon's own model for £409 new and £169 secondhand. I'd also be tempted to look on the websites of AP's ther regular advertisers too.
    Much safer than eBay.

www.parkcameras.com/search/go?w=canon%202x

15. PeteRob

Practice really - monopod helps. The tripod collar from the 400 fits the 70-200 F4 which doesn’t come with one.

16. Bazarchie

I have owned the 300l for over 10 years. Mainly used for birds, aircraft and cars, it just works.

I am surprised how well the 7Dii prices have held up. The current prices are the same as I paid for mine 3/4 years ago. I doubt the prices will plummet as the 7D iii is likely to be much more expensive.

I also had a similar opinion of Sigma lenses, however they are very much improved.

17. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

The wonderful high ISO performance of modern digital cameras helps too. Using an ancient Tokina 80-400 mm at 400 mm on my Pentax K5, I wanted to use F11 (best optical quality for this lens) and 1/1250 shutter speed (the image stabilisation in the camera body doesn't work very well with long lenses) so was forced to use ISO 8,000 to take the shot without a tripod. This image has only been cropped slightly at the sides, but I had to spend a few minutes with the RAW file to get the best balance between 'noise' and sharpness. I have used it on an A2 calendar and at sensible viewing distance it looks fine.

Attached Files:

18. pixelpuffin

No doubt. problem is nobody wants them when you try to sell. Yes the "Art" versions sell, but the others.....worth peanuts used.
    Finding £500 is a lot easier than finding a spare £2k. And far more palatable to the missus... I might see if I can find a decent copy of the 300/f4is. If it turns out to be a bad move I should more or less break even selling on. I know the 70-300L doesn't take my 1.4xii. shame.

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You can't use extenders on the 70-300mm L.

20. PeteRob

There may be a third party make that fits but the lens is too slow to take an extender. The viewfinder image would be too dark and the AF limited.

pixelpuffin likes this.