1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Buying a car is more trouble than I thought

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stephen Rundle, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Choosing one is hard enough but getting rid of the one you have is terrible.

Only in so far as not being able to get rid of it before the new one comes then you have to have somewhere to keep it 'till you sell it AND have to keep the insurance to be able to show people it. :( :( :(

No I don't have a driveway, just a built in garage, so on street with no insurance is no good.

Sheesh

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I believe also that you can only use your no claims bonus for one of the vehicles.

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Although some insurances let the 2 cars over run for a while. I had 2 cars on mine for an extra 2 weeks at no cost when I was in a similar situation.

4. Stephen Rundle

Motability so no insurance :) but you are 100% right

5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

They've mellowed. A few years back my insurance company at the time wanted £35 to insure my old vehicle for an extra day as my policy was being transferred to the new vehicle. I declined.

Edit. I should add that my yearly premium was around £150

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  6. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

When I got our current car I was lucky and the trade in value was about the same as I would get if I sold it myself. Someone wanted our previous car so I got top dollar plus a bit more. In addition the dealer paid our down payment on the new one,, gave us a gas voucher and Erin got a coke and popcorn

Here's the new car.. Ford Focus SE/2018.. her name is Sandy
    DSC_0011.JPG

7. Stephen Rundle

Trade in for our car is £300, I can easily sell private £800 it is the blooming inconvenience

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  8. Jeff Farkas

In that situation I would sell it. We got a bit over 9,000 dollars and add in the 1100 for the down payment it was a great deal we couldn't pass up.

9. Stephen Rundle

Just dropped a massive clanger, not ordered yet, thought test it on sale, someone wants it BUM :(

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  10. Jeff Farkas

That stinks. I hate when that happens. In our case no one wanted the car so that's why it was still there. It was one of the last Focus's made in the US and they wanted to get rid of it and we got it. It was a managers special. My girlfriend saw one in the showroom she wanted.. a black Mustang GT350 with a purple racing stripe.

Stephen Rundle likes this.
  11. Stephen Rundle

Sods law.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  12. Stephen Rundle

Too late now, took my son to Motability ford and ordered the car today

Ford Kuga ST line X hybrid

My first car had 4 wheels and a heater :( His has front and rear cameras, cruise, heated everything from seats to steering wheel the list is endless (and pointless) it's a joke

BUT you can get TWO wheelchairs in the back with ease :) :) :)

SIX week wait :(

kuga.jpg

Image1.jpg

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'm surprised it is only 6 weeks. My life's ambition was a new car at age 40 - didn't happen. Age 50 - still couldn't afford it. Age 58 (after a lot of saving up) it was all systems go and super exciting doing the selections until we got the delivery date. Sod that. We didn't sign and walked out (nearly - they still took a week to prep it) with a pre-registered one. So another s/h car, although it was probably less than 12 months built, one careful owner and 50 miles on the clock. I'm resigned to never getting a new car but with only 80k on the clock this one has some time to go to catch up its late 1997 predecessor which we still run. That was only 2 years old when we got it.

14. Stephen Rundle

I would never buy another new car, depreciation.

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I fully hope to never buy another car at all. For my circumstances it would be utterly wasteful.

16. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to buy another new Saab but until somebody resurrects the marque that isn't going to happen.
    I did buy two of them new, out of 9.

17. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Over my driving lifetime I have only owned two new vehicles. I have always owned low mileage lightly used vehicles.
    The depreciation on a new vehicle in Canada is substantial. Being a mechanic I always took very good care of my
    vehicles and when it was time to sell them I usually had no problem selling them quickly for a good price.

18. Jeff Farkas

Ford Kuga ST line X hybrid wow.. I love that. Nice care indeed my girlfriend would love that one for certian