1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a camera

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Barry, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

I am think of buying a new camera when I return to the UK in the summer. I want to spend around 400 pounds. I have managed to narrow it down to Canon EOS 50E. I want to photograph in low light levels - do I need a camera with spot-metering?

There are so many great cameras at around this price - can anyone recommend one over the others?

I´d be grateful for any advice,

Thanks,

Barry Drinkwater

2. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If you are considering the 50E at £400 then I would recomend the eos 5. I recently purchased one from Jessops and their price was £480 but I ask them to do a price check (I showed them an ad in AP for Jacobs as they were selling it for £400) and they phoned them up. Because postage from Jacobs was £10 Jessops charged me a bargain price of £410! The camera has a better spec that the 50E. It has 5 eye contolled auto focus points instead of 3, 5 frames per second and also has the spot metering of which you ask. Also it has a top shutter speed of 1/8000th. With a lens you could pick one up for around £480 and why not check out a quality second hand one. Many shops now have these cameras in mint condition at around £250 body only. Good luck in your decision and you can't go wrong with an EOS!! Regards Mario.

3. Pecheur

Pecheur Active Member

You do not really need a spot meter to shoot at low light levels. Spot metering comes into it's own when you are photographing a contrasty scene and want accurate readings from specific areas in a picture. I own an EOS 5, which is a nice camera, but you could buy a secondhand EOS 10 (which is a well specified camera) for half the money you are looking to spend.

To shoot pictures in low light you will need either a fast lens (one with a wide maximum aperture such as 1.7 or 2.8),or a tripod.Better still - both !

Happy shooting !

Pecheur

4. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help.

The low light work that I´m interested in is photographing bands playing live. This would take place in a dark club. What special features should my camera have? A tri-pod would be unpractical.

What do you think of the Pentax cameras at around 400 pounds? I don´t know why, but I´m strongly drawn to the EOS50E. I like the idea of the eye-focus and the old-fashioned dials (I currently use an Olympus OM1).

I´m returning to live in the UK in the summer (I live in Mexico at the moment) so I´ll actually be able to check these cameras out in the flesh, as opposed to relying on AP test reports!

Thanks again,

Barry

PS. Most of all, I want to buy a camera that will last me a long long time - preferably made of metal. Is the EOS50E due to be upgraded?

5. 0

0 Guest

Barry,
    Before deciding which camera to buy you should properly consider what exactly you require from it. Shooting bands in low light for example does not require a spot meter as has already been pointed out. I also think that eye contolled focussing would not be beneficial in this type of shot owing to the low lighting. A flash with an infra red focussing aid will be better than eye controlled focussing I would suggest. These are available for all makes of SLR. Also, please take the advice of buying a good wide aperture lens - not just for viewing thro', but also to give a reasonably short shutter speed.
    Personally, I would opt for a second hand camera such as a Nikon with a good prime optic if you also require robustness as a priority.
    Clive Kenyon

6. Barry

Barry Well-Known Member

What do you think of the APS SLRs - They sound impressive to me - all of the plus points of the 35mm SLRs, but with three formats and mid-roll film change.

Is the film used in APS cameras smaller than that used in 35mm? Will the APS SLRs not produce as good results as 35 cameras?

Thanks for your advice,

Barry

7. chicagobob

chicagobob Member

My Canon IX (note lite) APS with F1.8 50mm lens is incredibly responsive for
    people photos. I get very sharp 8 by 6 inch enlargements from lab and have
    been about to print very high quality 8 by 10s with 2400dpi scans on my inkjet.

Negative is smaller than 35mm. Grain can be a problem with 400 ASA color films,
    but not with B&W.

I view APS as a super high quality competitor to expensive digital cameras rather than as a substitute for 35mm.

I think IX and an EOS 35mm body gives best of both world.

Kodak makes very effective 2400 dpi film scanner for APS (about 250USD)
    and some places scan APS to Kodak CD at 20USD for developing, one set prints, and scan.

With prime lenses or expensive zooms the APS will give you fine family photos.

I shoot 120 when I want finest quality, 35mm for scenics, APS for people.