1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Butterflies 2020

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by MJB, Apr 14, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's going to be a funny butterfly season this year. It's looking like the Duke of Burgandy will be out of bounds for me and I cant see me getting the elusive Purple Emporer in early summer. Not much in the way of deciduos woodland within walking distance, so it's going to be garden varieties and chalk downland species for the main. Here's the first two proper shots for this year:

Green-veined White:

gvw.jpg

Peracock:

peacock.jpg

RogerMac, Catriona and SXH like this.
  2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Still sticking to the farm and adjoining nature reserve. so lucky to have access to these habitats within a mile of home.

Wall Brown.

wallbrown.jpg

RogerMac and Catriona like this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Well my Wall Brown sighting has caused a bit of a stir. I've just been contacted by the Wiltshire Wildlife Trust to tell me it's the first ever recording of that species at the Dunscombe Bottom nature reserve.

Craig20264 and EightBitTony like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It seems to be getting quite rare.

edit: yours is a better image than I found offered when looking it up!

MJB likes this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Like most butterflies they're quite scarce at a national level, but can be quite numerous at a local level. Being on the edge of the army ranges means the small clusters are joined by suitable habitat, so the potential is there for species to spread.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Good day on our walk today. Here's where we were.The army camp is 400 yards from home:

dunsc.jpg

Several species seen including Orange-tip, Peacock, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Small Heath, Wall Brown and...

Dingy Skipper:

dingy.jpg

Green Hairstreak:

ghs.jpg

Marsh Fritillary:

mf3.jpg

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

That's a seriously pretty plant the dingy skipper is on, too!

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's Milkwort.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I can look it up now.

10. PeteRob

Very nice. How did you manage with the wind? It has been breezy here.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Winds have been quite light here. My biggest challenge was the dopey dog.

12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Dogs do tend to bugger photography plans up quite well. If I am out with mine, I tend to forget about photos (mind you, ours has to be on a lead)

13. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Our pup is great at flushing out butterflies. It's so much easier to spot them in flight and then see where they land. It's when I contort myself into a position to get the angle I want that she has to investigate what I'm doing. For 5 months old she's pretty good though.

97157219_10156982076336669_2920829639637073920_n.jpg

steveandthedogs and AndyTake2 like this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

A day for the blues today.Walked up through the nature reserve and up onto the army ranges.

ranges.jpg
    Adonis Blue:

adonis2.jpg
    adonis.jpg

Small Blue:
    smallblue.jpg

smallblue2.jpg

...and a Common Blue pic in Appraisals.

steveandthedogs and AndyTake2 like this.
  15. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Couple of weekends ago when I went for a long, long, long walk through some lovely spaces near the canal, I took some pictures of some butterflies and reminded myself that I have *NO CLUE* how you achieve this.

None.

Not a scooby.

It's clearly magic.

MJB likes this.
  16. PeteRob

I can tell you that buying the 100-400 L ii doesn’t, in itself, help.

Magic, pure magic.

MJB and EightBitTony like this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I can add being burnt at the stake for witchcraft as a risk I take when going out now!

EightBitTony likes this.
  18. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Tremendous stuff as usual. :)

MJB likes this.
  19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Tough day today. Hot, bright sun saw the butterflies really active and no need to open their wings for warmth.

Here's today's venue. 40% of the UK's unimproved chalk grassland is on Salisbury Plain. This is just a fraction of it:

dangerone.jpg

Brown Argus (which is actually a 'blue'):

brown argus.jpg

Adonis Blue, but could be a Common Blue.

blue.jpg