1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Budget Bridge Camera for Beginner?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Skiff85, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Skiff85

Skiff85 New Member

So I have recently developed an interest in Photography, but up until this point I have been using either a 6 year old compact, or my phone but Now I'm looking at getting a bridge camera. I have a rather small budget (around £100) so I'm not expecting an amazing camera, so far, I have found 2 but I'm not sure if they are the best for the budget available. The ones I'm currently looking at are the Kodak AZ361 and the Panasonic Lumix DMC LZ30. The types of photos I would like to take are Night sky and the moon, light trails and macro among other things. I understand I would need something with a long shutter speed which the Kodak has double the Lumix, but the Lumix has a better zoom. Are these my best options or is there something I have not found yet?

2. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

You pays your money you take your choice i first came here thinking bridge would be the answer but i have soon decided to go dslr but it depends on my budget if i have enough i will go dslr as quality is superior but if i dont have the cash a bridge will have to do.

bridge camera's can be very good so dont think your cheaping out by getting one you could quite easily do ther things you want to do with one but its a jack of all trades master of non i took very pleasant pictures on my compact but when i recently borrowed a dslr kit the quality of my shots went up ten fold in my opinion to the point that i haven't even bothered going out with my own camera since as my compact just wont cut it now for me

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The subject of night sky photography and star trails comes up quite often so searching the forums might be useful. I would think you need a bulb setting for exposure ( you can keep the shutter open as long as you want - preferably with a remote control so you do not touch the camera and shake it) and some control over the metering to be flexible with night sky shots so check the specifications - the entry level cameras tend toward the automatic everything approach and try to find a camera review that discusses low light performance because noise can be a problem. most compacts and bridges have a close focus mode labelled macro. Try before you buy is the best thing to be sure that it is what you want. True macro is a 1:1 size reproduction and the sensor size on a budget compact/bridge is tiny so for practical subject reasons I doubt any are true macro. By better zoom do you mean longer zoom? Although bridges are popular exactly because they are light and offer extraordinary zoom ranges they can be difficult to hold steady at maximum focal length and usually this is not the "best" of all the focal lengths available.

4. Skiff85

Skiff85 New Member

Well like I said, I'm on a bit of a tight budget so I cant really afford a dslr and I'm only looking for a camera that I can use to experiment with the types of images I want to take. Yes I did mean longer and not better.

5. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

as said in my opinion you cant go too far wrong with a bridge and to get an equivalent zoom on a dslr your talking thousands of pounds so they certainly have their uses and i have seen some excellent pictures taken with them hobbies do not have to cost you a fortune

6. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would argue that typically, the compact will give slightly better results, as it's not as compromised by over-extended zoom range. However, certainly the Fujis produce fairly respectable results, but night shooting really isn't a strength of this type of camera.

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

A bridge camera is basically a compact "superzoom" camera in a larger, heavier body but usually with a mode dial to give full control to the user. Sometimes you pay a premium for the style (appearance) of a bridge camera.

For around £120 at the moment, Currys are selling a Canon powershot SX260
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...ompact-digital-camera-black-12324628-pdt.html
    which has 20x zoom, GPS, Canon's HS sensor for good low-light performance, and full manual control. IMHO it's worth a look along with some of Fuji's bridge cameras (and it is certainly worth looking at Fuji UK's refurbished offerings)

9. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A quick look at the Currys website suggest they define the Canon SX260 as a compact

Not sure if it's any good but they do have a bridge for £90.00 http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...id-is2132-bridge-camera-red-21534951-pdt.html

And if you can get a few quid extra together they have a Fuji bridge for £116.95

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...ujifilm-s4800-bridge-camera-21322533-pdt.html

Don't have a bridge myself but everyone I've asked about bridges speaks very highly of Fuji indeed one of the best photographers I know uses a Fuji bridge and has done for years only recently upgrading to a DSLR

10. andy0306

andy0306 New Member

I have a Canon bridge camera, the zoom is 35x so a bit higher than the ones you're looking at. I've tried to get a decent shot of the moon, but without a tripod it's very difficult to keep it steady. So far the one below is the best I've managed to get handheld.

[​IMG]

The two images below give a better idea of the zoom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Take a look at my flickr photo's, not many on there (and I'm not expert) but all but one were taken with the bridge camera.