1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buachaille Alert! 2 pictures

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Helander, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

It's been at least a couple of months since my last Buachaille upload so thought it about time for another. :D
    Took no landscapes in the month of August for whatever reason, loss of interest, no motivation or just too busy doing something else.
    Decided to give myself a boot up the proverbial and go do something last weekend. Done all the planning with a particular shot in mind but when that didn't work out due to a miserable sunrise is was revert to plan B.
    Round to the Buachaille for a quick look to see who was out and about. It's a popular spot with a few togs already there, some have even taken to camping out the night before to get in line early.

First is the classic shot. Went long exposure to relieve some boredom while waiting for the light to do something which it didn't.
    [​IMG]

Second, less conventional. I've tried this view before but got too low so didn't quite work the last time.

[​IMG]

Your thoughts and criticism is most welcome, thanks for looking.

2. Ednewbie

Ednewbie Well-Known Member

I prefer the second one - it leads you through the photo better.

Both photos made me wonder what the main focal point of the photo is - is it the mountain or the water? I'd like to see a photo of the stream and the tree, maybe without the mountain or with it less prominent. And then a photo where the mountain is the obvious subject - maybe in landscape format?

Just my thoughts......

Ed

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Yet again some wonderful shots.
    I just have a point, not a critisism really to make. I have never been to this part of the world so consequently have no idea how big this mountain/hill is, and I just don't get a sense of scale from these shots. As I said, this is in no way a critisism as I am a big fan of your landscapes and I would be happy for any of these two shots to grace my walls.
    Just a niggle that plays on my mind. I'm not even sure you can convey the scale without going wider and spoiling the shot.:)

4. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

the second one is a bit busy for me, but the first is really nice. I know the light isn't great, as you say, but that's just the way the weather in the UK is sometimes and it probably portrays how the scene usually is. It feels cool and damp and misty.
    I like the long exposure effect on the mist and the water. Maybe a tiny bit of wind movement softening the leaves on the tree, but it's not an issue, and to be honest, I only look for such details as your shots are normally pixel perfect.

Very nice and glad it's not in mono, as the soft muted colours are nice.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ah go on, you know we can always handle Etive Mor!
    (I'll get me coat)

Those are not far off capturing those moody days when everyone sane is curled up with a cuppa and we're off dripping along the path as the cloud swirls in the trees and even the ducks are walking. I'd like a bit less time on the first as I'm not a fan of misty water, but I love the dreich atmosphere (well, in as much as anyone loves it dreich!)

Adrian

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

No 2 for me. I really like the repetition of shape between the two trees and the peak itself and even, to a lesser extent, with the large foreground rock.

In the downside I feel it's a touch under exposed (as is No 1) and could maybe use a touch more contrast but these are pretty minor niggles.

7. cas100uk

cas100uk Well-Known Member

Everything is great, except the light which is as flat as a fart. But you already know that.

8. Themis

Themis Well-Known Member

I like them both, and especially I like the top two-thirds of both of them :) That misty water takes the focus away from the moody mountain, and I noticed that as I scrolled up to see the full pictures (small laptop screen...). I really love that heavy cloud wrapped around the top of the mountain.

9. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Ditto. :)

10. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I'm in no position to criticise anyone's work , but I will add that I prefer no2 for it's better composition .

Hello + Ciamar a tha thu ? to you from a damp and drizzly Isle of Skye.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I find the second satisfies for longer - I feel sucked down a tunnel towards that wee hill. The colour is great but a touch magenta on the background?

First is made by that mist. I love the way it almost deforms the mountain and makes it more Matterhorn-y in shape. Only real fault for me is the tree to left is a touch dark (grad placement?) and could do with gentle lightening to match other greenery in the same actual light (does that make sense?). Colour otherwise great again.

On the note of colour, I am noticing a lot more subtlety in your recent work. Would you attribute this to the different sensor or has it been a conscious approach? Keen to know as I really like it!

12. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Totally agree with El_Sid.

But 2nd is a great frame anyway. Love it :)

13. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

Second for me too, mainly because I have seen so many shots of the first view that it has to be something very, very special to impress!

Both are excellent images, I just find the second shot more interesting and I like the subtle colours.

14. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for the responses.
    Interesting some like the second picture more as the first is considered the classic view.
    Some great points for me to take on board, thanks.

@Zou San....jezz that's tough question. I've given it a lot of thought but I'm not aware of ever consciously making a decision apart from wanting to take better pictures of the land I love, Scotland, The Highlands in particular.
    I've been staring at this reply for over ten minutes searching for an answer but just cant come up with one that makes any sense, sorry.

15. Parsen66

Parsen66 Well-Known Member

It's the first one for me. Maybe I'm a classic kinda guy :)

The mist circling the mountain really lifts the picture. I like the lone tree and the misty water, although its perhaps a bit too misty.

Top marks for battling the elements too.