1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bronica SQA

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Jbsumo, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Jbsumo

Jbsumo New Member

I was looking for a bit of advice regarding a Bronica SQA im think of buying. This would be my first trip into medium format and I would not like anything lower than 6x6 format.

Is this a good camera to use? Easy and Quick to function?

Is the camera good for hand holding? I use a Canon EOS 3 with grip and find using this with a 200 f2.8 no problems.

Is it still a good camera? I know that you can still find sum new but I would be buying second hand and would like to no if Bronica is a good make to buy and if accesories are easy to get hold of?

If anyone can help with sun advice I would be most grateful

2. javert

javert Member

Well I have just brought a SQA and am finding my way around, it seems to be easy to get on with, just remember that its manual and there seems to be a lot to do, exposure reading, set apeture, set speed, focus things seem to be a lot slower than with the modern all singing and dancing cameras. Still a couple of films in to be D&P I'll find out next week fingers crossed

3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Bronnie was always a popular brand amongst students, so there are plenty available on the used market - probably even more so with the rush to digital. You might even be able to cut a deal with a dealer who has plenty sitting on the shelves.

As for accessories, the more popular ones should be similar to looking for cameras I would imagine. It may be worth considering that because Bronica pulled out of the medium format SLR market entirely about a year ago that some repairs (mainly electronic related) may become uneconomic in seven to eight years or so when parts begin to run short.

4. snapperlondon

snapperlondon Well-Known Member

I have both the Bronica SQ-B and SQA-i (along with 50mm, 80mm and 180mm lenses, a speedgrip and a metered prism). Both cameras give fantastic results (although the metered prism doesn't work with the SQ-B). Obviously I'd have loved a Hasselblad and selection of lenses, but as an impoverished student that was just a dream!

Bronicas may not be as tough as Hasselblads, but then they are also a third of the price! If treated with a little care they will give many years of reliable service (I've had mine for 5 years and they are still in prefect working condition, showing no sign of needing a service). My college used them (along with Hasselblads and Mamiyas) and they stood-up to student use and abuse very well! Buying secondhand, there is less of a price difference, but you can still get a good Bronica body, back and lens for less than a Hasselblad body!

As for image quality, there certainly isn't £2000 difference! Apart from the tell-tale Hasselblad rebate markings I would bet that most 'mere mortals' would be hard pushed to spot the difference, in print or under a loupe!

Obviously if you have plenty of money then go for a Hasselblad, it will hold its price better, but if you are on a budget then get the Bronica, I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results!

For hand-held photography I find the speedgrip very useful (as I have quite small hands), but take your camera along to the dealer and try one out, not everyone likes them! You should be able to get a good secondhand speedgrip for £75-100!

Snapper

5. tzunder

tzunder Active Member

I bought a Bronica SQA on ebay a month back and so far it's looking good. I got a 80mm lens with it and have just bought a 150mm lens.

It seems quite straight forward after some earlier user problems (like I didn't know what I was doing)..

6. Blad_the_paler

Blad_the_paler Well-Known Member

Hey I had a Bronica SQAm for years and it was faultless. Now use Blads cozz the lenses obliterate Bronica's. :D

7. tzunder

tzunder Active Member

To update. I have sold the SQA. I found that it was just too bulky and slow for me. I have moved to a Fuji GA645zi, a compact MF camera in 645 format. I would like a Bronica RF645 but...

8. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

Be quick then Tom. Sadly the RF645 has been discontinued. :(

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My information is that it was actually discontinued at the same time as all the other Bronnies, but not announced due to higher stocks.