1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken 8-18mm Leica DG

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by alfbranch, Mar 19, 2018.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

How many days do you think are in a fortnight?

alfbranch likes this.
  2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Twice as many as in a sennight... :cool:

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sorry - 2x as much but still 1/4 the capability.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wow inflation! In 1972 a month was worth four of today's fortnights!

5. Andrew Flannigan

Mea culpa - you guys have got me here. :( Facts: Cost of 24mm Zuiko in 1972: around £120. Average weekly wage in 1972: £31. Therefor 1 Zuiko 24mm lens cost roughly 4 weeks wages. Cost of 8-18mm Leica DG today: around £950. Average weekly wage today: £514. Therefor the Leica costs less than 2 weeks pay. The Leica lens provides (at a minimum) the equivalent of 4 prime 35mm film format lenses: 16; 20; 24; 35m That's 4x the functionality for 1/2 the price. It's still a damned sight cheaper so you can't complain if it breaks when it's dropped and it's still your own stupid fault if you drop it so you can't moan if the makers won't fix it for peanuts! :mad:

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Not really: that's an arbitrary number. You can equally well say that it takes pictures (functionality 1:1) or that it equates to any other arbitrary number of lenses, such as 16, 18, 20, 21, 24, 25, 28 and 35mm (functionality 8:1 -- and I've used all of them, plus 17mm Tamron, 19mm Canon and as far as I recall 29, 30 and 32mm Eastern European lenses). You can also say that it's quite fragile compared with a decent prime (insert arbitrary functionality ratio here, inevitably to the detriment of the zoom) and that at the longer focal lengths (where you need more lens speed for a high shutter speed) it's a stop slow so it has only half the functionality.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

True enough but it still offers an awful lot more functionality for a lot less money than a mechanical mount lens. Given the way it has to be built to achieve that combination of price and effect it's asking a lot to have it constructed to the same levels of robustness. It's even less reasonable to expect the manufacturer to provide the expensive resources to repair what really has to be considered a disposable product. If it fails through a manufacturing fault in a way covered by our consumer protection laws they'll find it cheaper to replace it.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Still not convinced by the first sentence, but as for the rest, you have to be right.

Cheers,

R.

9. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Well this is what it is costing for my Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4. I am annoyed as the I was told a different price £60 less that this.

Work Required:

Replacement lens required damaged.

=========================================================================

Estimate Cost:

Labour : £30.00

Parts : £570.12

p&p : £9.00

Total : £609.12 exc vat

vat : £121.82

Less deposit/payment : -£0.00

-----------

Balance req : £730.94

-----------

10. PeteRob

£50 less than the one MPB have for sale.

11. Andrew Flannigan

There's a reason I only buy 2nd hand or if it's on a big discount.

12. alfbranch

It is only £119 less than it cost me new with cashback.

13. PeteRob

I didn't look at the cost breakdown. If labour is £30 that doesn't look like a technician working on the lens, even to check alignment after reassembly. It could be to cover the cost of handling the inquiry. I'd guess they are supplying a new lens at cost - you will know if the serial number is different.

alfbranch likes this.
  14. alfbranch

I paid for this a week ago (last Tues night) still no new lens.
    Great service or what?

No communication from them at all the product regsitration for this connects to nothing.
    I did look up the repair website (seperate company)and they say this
    Performance
    been in 1 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 1 days waiting est
    Repair Info
    spare parts on order
    Estimate details
    replacement lens required damaged

15. alfbranch

How fast is that?
    Thats to replace a lens,

We are pleased to confirm that your CAMERA is ready for despatch
    A printed repair report and receipt will be returned with your CAMERA

=========================================================================

Was In 13 Days, Inc. 12 Days Waiting Parts 1 Days Waiting Est

Arrived at DK Horley : 23/03/18

Estimate report provided : 22/03/18
    Estimate Reply Received : 23/03/18

Spare Parts Ordered : 23/03/18
    Spare Parts Received : 04/04/18
    Repair Completed / Closed down : 05/04/18

Ready for Despatch : 05/04/18

16. alfbranch

Well this arrived a new lens in the old box I was never asked if the lens hood was OK but I did not get another.

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Why would they send you a new lens hood? You sent them a lens without one, so they returned a lens without one. I don't see your issue.
    They've given you a deal on a lens which you damaged. Why do you feel they owe you?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. alfbranch

Craig
    I think it important to know what I paid for.
    Based on the lens hood being an accessory as well as lens pouch and caps I suspect (which were included in the lens price of £849) I calculate that price for this replacecement was in fact about 10% discount. That is not very much of a discount IMO.