1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken 8-18mm Leica DG

Discussion in 'Panasonic Chat' started by alfbranch, Mar 19, 2018.

1. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I broke my newest lens yesterday my 8-18mm Leica DG.

[​IMG]H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Well this lens cost me £850 but as Panasonic have not set up a repair route they wil generously replace it for about £700. That is if you think that is generous.
    This what they said

I am sorry but there is no route at present to repair this lens

We can provide an exchange price of approximately £550 + vat + carriage. If you wish to proceed with this please log on line at www.dkavs.co.uk and send the lens in to us.

We will provide a more accurate estimate and when paid the replacement lens will be ordered and sent to you after arrival here.

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Ouch! That is heading for daylight robbery.

Adrian

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

With anything Leica-branded, would you seriously be expecting a repair bill (VAT and carriage included) much under £150 anyway?

Cheers,

R.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

ouch! what did you do to it to rip the mount off?

5. alfbranch

Thats what I think Adrian RRP is £1050 though

Dear Roger
    If this was an Leica product not a Panasonic one pretending to be by Leica I could see your point but then it would have cost 4 times as much or more I suspect.
    What I do expect though is a decent service where they offer proper reapirs for which I pay the required parts and labour to carry out a repair. I suspect I would Leica style service. My Olympus OMD E-M5ii is having its shutter replaced along with the rubber grips and I got a decent service for my out of warranty camera.

Peter Yeah thats it due to my tripod falling over.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If it's any help tell them I am in the market for a m FT camera and I have just struck Pany off the list.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Is it insured? I don't know what the end price is of making a claim in terms of increased premiums. All my photo gear is named on my home policy as "all risks".

8. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

My condemnation of Pany is not the .Price but the fact that no repair route exists. Seems most unprofessional for a quality product.

9. alfbranch

I should have my gear insured but I do not

As I said above I expect a repair route. My E-M5ii shutter and new rubber grips is costing £107.21 to repair the quote have has parts listed down to each screw used.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Modern design and manufacturing techniques make repair impractical for small devices. Just looking at the picture it seems that you'd need to replace the lens mount and the circuit board and probably the rear lens body. Add in the labour costs and you would have to be looking at close to the original retail price.

11. alfbranch

Thats not true Olympus would be looking to repair this and when this happened to some Olympus 12-40 f2.8 lenses they even repaired some for free.

12. Andrew Flannigan

That's a very definite statement. Do you work for Olympus?

13. alfbranch

14. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Do you have accidental damage on your house contents insurance Alf?

15. Andrew Flannigan

According to the postings you point to Olympus repaired 2 of the lenses and replaced 1. In any case the problem with the Olympus seems to have been acknowledged as a design flaw. In your case and by your own admission you damaged the lens yourself and I don't see that Panasonic owe you anything. In any case my original statement is as likely to be true as not.

16. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

You could try getting a quote from an independent camera repairer. I found several with a web search.

17. alfbranch

This is being payed for by my home insurance after ironing out a little mistake on the insurance company system. Now to sort my insurance properly.

I will be posting it off tomorrow.

Craig20264 likes this.
  18. alfbranch

IMO the lens should have survived the fall many other lenses at that price point would have.

RogerMac likes this.
  19. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

You seriously can't really expect to be dropping electronic equipment without consequences can you? I know some survive, but that's all down to good fortune.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. Andrew Flannigan

Good point. The 8-18mm is a cheap piece of engineering. If you relate it to the median weekly wage it costs less than a fortnight's pay. The 24mm Zuiko in 1972 (as close as I can estimate) cost the equivalent of a month's pay - 4x as much for less than 1/4th the functionality.