1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bridge or DSLR

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by David Dumble, Jun 4, 2021.

1. David Dumble

David Dumble Member

I am just looking at just taking all kinds of pictures not looking at anything specific just all round
    My budget is approx £750 i wouldnt go much higher at this stage when i retire if im still into it i will then push the boat out further
    I had a rough idea but the advice on here has given me plenty to consider and its been very welcome
    I hadnt thought about using my old lenses tbh but now thats an option its one worth looking at
    If theres more models out there that fit my budget then i am open to advice
    Thanks

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If you want to go down the Dslr route, then have a look at used models too. I recently picked up a low shutter count Canon 5d mkII complete with battery grip for under £400 from a reputable dealer. £750 would buy a body that would be an upgrade on the 400d,as well as a decent lens to go with it.

alfbranch likes this.
  3. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I suggest getting out with tge camera you have and post some shots for critique and people can offer advice.
    You may find what you have is good for you. You may find you get a better idea what suits your needs.

4. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

So true it does not need to be new or the latest kit to get results.

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

A bit late to the thread, but, if you decide for the DSLR, rather than the two lenses up to 300mm, I would, from experience, recommend an
    all in one of lens from 18-250 or 300. As for the bridge camera, I have a Nikon Coolpix P900 (24-2000) and, whilst one can get incredibly
    close to your subjects one is iimited, to a degree, to print size due to both sensor size and ISO used and how much of a crop is involved :)
    If the ISO is fairly low and the crop is negligible, then, making large (ish) prints is doable. If you're just going to post on forums, FB, Instagram,
    Twitter, etc .... easy peasy :D

Cheers,

Jack