1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bramble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Zou, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

This year the bramble in our garden had lots of flowers, something it had not previously managed. Unsurprisingly we now have a lot of berries on their way. Are all brambles blackberries or is there some variation?

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They're blackberries.

Catriona likes this.
  3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

With thorns. The domestic varieties tend to be less aggressive in the thorn department. I had an argument with a bramble the other day. I was shocked, later, to find the cut across my wrist, could have been really nasty.

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood likes this.
  4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

The canes can also root at both ends, and lie across paths at just the right height to lacerate your ankles and trip you up.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They root anywhere along their length that has contact with the ground. Vicious stuff.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Nature's original barbed wire.

7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Google"Himalayan Giant" *shudders*

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Put them with apple in a crumble...ha not so deadly now ...
    The plants are pure evil, make a cactus look like a blunt carving knife

Learning and Ascu75 AKA Don Wood like this.
  9. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

I like apple crumble. I remember years ago going on a ramble with some folks from church and about a hour or so after getting home the door bell rang and I was presented with a fresh baked apple and blackberry crumble made from berries we had helped pick . I still don’t know how she had prepared cooked and delivered the crumble.:eek:

Zou likes this.
  10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I was trying to decide what to do with the berries we pick and I think you've just inspired me. Not done a crumble for years.

Learning and Ascu75 AKA Don Wood like this.
  11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

As anybody who tries to access my property via the back garden will find out;).

12. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Make a preserve jelly. Delicious and can be used in various recipes.

peterba, Zou and Ascu75 AKA Don Wood like this.
  13. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I always make a 'summer pudding' solely with blackberries.

Steep blackberries and sugar in boiling water for a while, cut white bread into triangles and soak in resulting syrup before lining a bowl with. Pour all the blackberries and remaining syrup into the bowl and weight down in the fridge for a few hours, the resulting pudding is superb with fresh cream.

The other thing is blackberry whisky, 1 litre of (cheap blended) whisky, 2lbs blackberries and sugar to taste.

Wash the blackberries, combine with whisky and sugar when picked in a large jar with secure lid. Leave until at least Christmas turning the jar weekly. The resulting whisky is transformed beyond recognition and the whisky-steeped berries are great on ice cream. :)

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Don't forget blackthorn. The spikes on that penetrate deep and then break off subcutaneously. The X-ray density is close to that of flesh, and they carry some quite bad nasties.
    Then there is brier, otherwise known as dog rose. The flowers are very pretty but ...
    If one were binding a hedge to prevent people crossing it then blackthorn 1st, brier 2nd, bramble third. We don't do it because they are all too vicious to the hedge layer.
    True.
    You mean that you do not have none native stuff as reccomended by the police some years ago.The right sort of Berberis is what you need.

15. Learning

I'm thinking along the same lines. Blackberries cooked and sieved to get rid of the white centres and pips, not quite ripe Bramley windfalls, no sugar. All covered with buttery short pastry, or crumble mixture, and served with very sweet Birds sweetened English custard. Sweet and sour to perfection.

Zou and John Farrell like this.
  16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Here's a suggestion that you might like:- put the blackberries into a saucepan with some red wine and a little muscovado sugar, cook until reduced to a slightly 'sludgy' state, then serve with chilled plain yogurt, and a tiny sprinkling of muscovado sugar on top. (A small amount of vanilla ice cream is also a very pleasant addition, if that's your thing. :))

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    miked, Learning and Zou like this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Remember not to pick any if there's an R in the month. No idea why, but my grandfather was adamant about it.

My preference would be 1 litre of vodka, 8oz fruit, 8oz brown caster sugar. Agitate twice a day until sugar has dissolved, then leave for 6 weeks before straining the fruit off and Bobs your rather blurry uncle.

18. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I should point out that my suggestion (post #16) was for a single serving. I REALLY hope yours isn't, Martin. :eek: :p :D

MJB likes this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Should get a good few this month but did he allow variance for how far north one is?

20. Learning

I don't understand the 'R in the month' bit. That applies to consumption of pork in the British warm months before refrigeration . Same reason that pork is not Kosher or Halal in the middle east where it might always be warm.
    As to the vodka, or sloes in gin; they are not my poison. The closest I come to spirits is a small amount of fortified wine from Jerez now and again.