1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Boots

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What footwear do you favour for photography? Quite often, photography in the open air involves a fair amount of walking, and the price/quality relationship in boots seems to me to be negligible: that's quite before you come to the comfort aspect. I can't see how anyone can buy boots on line, without trying them on, and I've had a hell of a job trying to find any GOOD boot shops within 100 miles. What do others do?

Anyone who's interested can look at a brief piece I did on boots on my .eu site, with horror shots of the soles, but it's by no means essential to read it before answering the question: see (Not as) Tough as Old Boots.

Cheers,

R.

2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Hunter wellies are the nearest thing I have to boots.

The missus is a nurse and a huge fan of sketchers shoes (well known for their comfort)

3. Roger Hicks

Thanks for the reply, but I find that gumboots are of extremely limited use for walking any distance and as far as I can see Sketchers are not made for serious walking. When I say "any distance", I'm talking about as little as 10 miles a day on rough roads and paths.

Cheers,

R.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We got sketchers when we did our trip through Vietnam and Cambodia. They are very comfortable wear and we were on our feet a lot. They don't half make your feet pong though. My wife had to put these on the terrace of our hotel room as they stunk the room out. I laughed the following day as the smell was too strong for an insect that had landed in it. Killed the bloody thing. They didn't last long on the trip before she binned them.

IMG_3810.JPG

retrofit likes this.
  5. dream_police

Shoe wise, it depends on what I am doing and where. Dirty areas, I will generally wear goretex hiking boots, other times just my normal everyday footwear, comfortable trainer/converse pumps type of thing, or as above Sketchers (If I am where no one I know will see me, as they aren't the most fashionable type of shoe!):)

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Nige,

Any particular brand? All but the cheapest seem to use GoreTex nowadays. And thanks for the smell warning about Sketchers.

Cheers,

R.

7. dream_police

Mine are by Asolo. Fugitive GTX. I got them in a sale in Blacks a few years ago. IIRC they are a wider fitting than a lot of boots and they were comfy from outset. Very little walking in required.

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I have two pairs of walking boots, a pair of leather Meindls, and some fabric (and Goretex) Brashers. And I have two pairs of walking trainers, too, some fabric North Face Hedgehogs, and a pair of leather (and Goretex) Meindls that I had to buy when stuck in Manchester in uncomfortable shoes.
    The Meindl boots are by far the most comfortable I have every had. My orginal pair did thousands of miles in the Lakes, Scotland, the Pyrenees and the Appenines, amongst others, over well over 10 years. Their replacements I have now had longer, but haven't had to do quite as much.
    The Brashers replaced an old pair of Karrimor KSBs that were pretty good, and despite being Chinese-made, are comfortable, lightweight and tough (I have destroyed the Achilles protection of old Brasher leather boots in the past), but I don't use them for really rough terrain.
    I have wide feet, which limits brands I can wear, but thoroughly recommend everything Meindl.

Zou likes this.
  9. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I have a pair of hiking boots by Salomon that I normally wear if I know I'm going to be on rough ground or gravel paths. They are useless on wet rocks though. If I know I'm going to be standing in water it's just a pair of green willies, though I think I may have used thigh high neoprene fishing waders in the past, once or twice.

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have at least three pairs depending on how far I expect to go but my favourites are Hotters light Goretex boots. In case you do not know Hotters is basically a catalogue/internet shop but they do have some stores.

11. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I wore a pedometer at work recently. I do 5 miles a day in my Dunlop Purofort wellies.

I wear a pair of allegedly crap Karrimor boots that cost me £20 from Sportsdirect. I’ll cover 10 miles a day when stalking butterflies and other wildlife across chalk downland and scrub. Had them 5 years and they’re not showing signs of wear.

For walking about town then it’s my everyday brogues or trainers. Jesus creeper sandals in the hot weather.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've a pair of Merrell walking shoes, not waterproof but very water resistant. They replaced Meindls (only because direct replacements weren't available and I needed them immediately). Had them 4 years or so, finally wearing through after almost daily use (max 15km in a day, usually just 3-10km). I'd happily buy either brand again.

Edit to add, wellies for anything on the beach. Not great for walking in more than 5km but the beach is 500m away so not a problem.

13. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I've got a pair of Meindl leather hiking boots and a pair of Tretorn Millenium wellies. I must have walked thousands of kilometres in the wellies - mainly in Sweden where they are ideal for wading through streams, squelching across bogs and so on. Now, 18 years on, they've developed some splits but even so, they're still useful for hiking around the local forest, particularly in winter. After having side-lined the Meindls for something like 15 years, because of the splits in the wellies I've blown the dust off them, given them a good dubbining and use them in the forest as well. Their toughness is good for scrambling over storm damage and the consequences of the foresters clear-up operations!

Lynn

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I haven't a lot of choice, mine being orthopaedic ones, so fit and comfort have never been an issue. Before I needed these, I invariably bought Clarks but also had a pair of Pirelli motorcycling boots, which back then (during 80's & 90's) had detachable and upgradable soles. I don't think Pirelli make these anymore though.

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

No. They got tyred of it.

Roger Hicks and dream_police like this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The poor quality of that pun has left me deflated.

dream_police likes this.
  17. Roger Hicks

Pffft.

Cheers,

R.

dream_police and Zou like this.
  18. dream_police

You need to tread carefully. Don't insult the mod.

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's wheely not an issue.

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I know, but he likes to jack things up.

LesleySM likes this.