1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boots film processing

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Matt_Hunt, Sep 6, 2006.

1. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

I once used Jessops, Once! :( Very Expensive and total Sh*te!

2. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Due to lack of a decent B&W processor I'm considering processing my own mono again, used to do it years ago but not too sure where all my kit is now. Put that way colour processing sounds quite cheap done at home, but I'm not very good at squinting at negs, I like to have some sort of print to look at! Still, might give it a go if I'm feeling brave. Had a look at RGB and the prices and service seem good but they don't seem to do mail order. Processing slide film isn't too much of a problem, usually I get a Fuji mailer with Velvia which works out at about £3.75 plus postage, turned around in less than a week, but I just seem to have run out at the moment.

3. Benchmark

Benchmark Well-Known Member

You'll be pleased to know that RGB do offer a postal service for amateurs, but do not advertise this widely as they are not into the Max Speilman end of the market. Cost of return postage is about £2.00. However, I understand that postage is included in their Pro service. (Give Graham a call on 01642 228182)

I know what you mean about squinting at negs. A light box and loupe helps a lot, but with negs I often find it is quicker and easier to run them through the scanner.

--------

Nigel.

4. Mojo_66

Cheers for that, aye, a scanner that'll scan film is on my Christmas list!

5. Mojo_66

Incidently, by coincidence I've just received some processing envelopes from Directfoto, anyone used them? Thing that puts me off is they're a Kodak lab, and I've always preferred the results from Fuji labs, but £3.79 for 36 exp. including postage and a free film is very tempting!

6. Benchmark

As its lunchtime, you might like to know that one of the big mail order processing firms (I think it was Trueprint) were sponsoring 'dual purpose' sick bags on Ryanair flights the last time I travelled with them.

I don't know if it was a comment on the standard of photography by the great British holidaymakers, but it might be a good idea to wait until you're of the plane before putting your films into one of these bags!

I wonder whether airport security would insist on putting these bags it through the x-ray machine? I can just hear them now: "Your films look very grainy Sir: oh no, did you have bacon and tomatoes for breakfast?"

------

Nigel.

7. Mojo_66

I once heard that it was possible to get a transparent sick bag. Don't know how true this is though.

8. Benchmark

I think you'll find that C41 is C41 wherever you go. It is an industry standard. The differences in quality come about because the machines and chemistry are not always maintained properly, rather than because the chemistry is different.

I think you'll also find that most problems arise at the scanning and printing stage, rather than at the negative processing stage.

---------

Nigel.

9. Mojo_66

Chemistry maybe, but the paper's different. Has to be worth a punt though.

10. Benchmark

Good point. But I think they'll go with whoever gives them the best deal on the day, so there’s probably no guarantee you'll get either paper.

Sadly, the world is run by 'bean-counters 'these days, which I suppose is why we're having this discussion in the first place!

-----------
    Nigel.

11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Your experience is obviously different to mine. By the way, do they have Boots in San Francisco?

12. Matt_Hunt

Matt_Hunt Well-Known Member

Oh thanks!!

13. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

After reading this post I tried using Boots for film processing. Wasted a couple of films 'cos I couldn't make them light-tight. Gone back to my stainless steel tank now.

14. Mojo_66

Sherman?

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Nein, Panzer - goes better wiz der jack-Boots.

16. Dave_Cox

Dave_Cox Well-Known Member

My local Boots can give good results, but I always take my films in during the week, when the 'saturday students' are nowhere in sght! The results depend on who's operating the machine and how much they care about the end product!

17. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

When the 'Yellow Advertiser' newspaper group had some money and could afford freelances I used to get work at Basildon and they used Basildon Boots for processing to 9x6" prints and the standard was excellent. The paper had a big account with Boots. Now the paper is broke again no more work !

18. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Well-Known Member

It probably varies from branch to branch, but I couldn't disagree more for our own branch in Wilmslow Cheshire. It is run by someone who really knows his photography and does a great job. He processes all my publication col neg work and everything comes back properly processed and dust free. I think they do have their automatic printing machines set a bit light as it makes things look a bit sunnier, so I always ask them to set the machine 2 clicks darker than normal. They seem happy to oblige.