1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books of photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ascu75, Jul 31, 2021.

1. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I spent the afternoon looking at stuff on the iPad and for a fair while on Instagram looking at other photography posts. One guy had loads of photography books of great images (I couldn’t see the images but sort of googled each book and saw some images online) this got me to thinking ‘ain’t photography books expensive’ is it me or are the an expensive niche? I would love to own some of these magnificent books but even at eBay and AbeBooks prices I won’t be adding them to my meager collection.
    I hope people understand the gist of this post, I understand print costs etc but it’s extremely expensive to collect these wonderful books

Don

the Instagram account I found that instigated the post is https://www.instagram.com/mattu1/?hl=en

steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I think the quality of the printing and limited runs account for most of the price.

3. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Most of my 200+ have been quite cheap. I picked up one on Wildlife photography today for £3 from a local Charity bookshop.
    Admittedly most of my books might be considered to be quite old, more than half are film era ones, but they are probably more useful than the early digital ones. Rules of composition/technique/exposure etc are generally just the same & even 120 year old books can make an interesting read.
    (My pre 1980 books are probably all digital books - there are quite a number available from places like Archive.org).

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

When you see the print quality in some of these, it's not at all surprising. I remember seeing an early edition of one of Ansel Adams books, (he was at the forefront of promoting much better quality printing in books) in a library and you could with the process used, see the ink in layers on the paper. Printing processes have changed since then, but seeing his monochrome prints where they progressed to a dense 'soot black' on the paper, is something rarely seen nowadays.

5. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I've bought second hand books through a site called Biblio.