1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bookmarks Folders

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mojo_66, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Last year my computer died so I got a new one. All ran as normal for a few months, then the other day I noticed that all the bookmarks from my old PC had suddenly appeared on my new one, how has that happened? There has never been any kind of connection between them, and they've never been on at the same time. Only similarity is I use Chrome on both machines, and if it is a Chome feature, why did it take around 3 months? Is there a way of deleting them in bulk as I don't need a lot of them anymore.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The tendency these days is for some personal data to be stored in the cloud and to synch between devices. It can be a blessing and a curse. After upgrading my mac I found most of its bookmarks on my iPad which I didn't want. I suspect Windows can do the same. Don't know offhand if you can bulk delete - presumably you have tried selecting all and pressing delete in the bookmarks editor which I presume Chrome has. As a thought Chrome is a Google product. If you have a Google account then, by the T&C, all sorts of stuff is copied to Google, including browsing history (any browser I think). I try to remember to log-in and log-out either side of using Google Group/Google Mail, whether this stops the data-logging or not I don't know.

3. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

That's probably what's happened then, just noticed there's an "Import Bookmarks" setting, must be something to do with that.

4. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Not necessarily - if you signed into your Chrome account on line, it may have resulted in your bookmarks being copied across to your new computer

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member