1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Blue cast

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by forester, Aug 25, 2017.

1. forester

forester Member

I like macro-photographing often very small fungi this time of the year...usually in the woods, usually in badly lit or even dark places and that gives me a problem. On board flash is too fierce and burns the image out so I bought an LED torch which does the job of illuminating the subject beautifully, but it casts a blue tint over everything.

I am not a very technically-minded person and would like to ask if there is a camera setting which would overcome this problem. I think it is possible to reduce the inbuilt flash power for macro, but I don't know how to achieve this.

Is there some kind of filter I could use perhaps. As you can tell, I am struggling here and any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera.

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Possibilities [bear in mind I don't know the camera]:

use a longer shutter speed and tripod or bean bag and forget flash and LED's
    can you adjust the strength of the flash?
    do they make daylight type LED's?
    can you fit a ring flash to the lens - i.e. has it got a filter thread?
    shoot in RAW and use software to correct the cast [or would even work in jpeg]
    and finally, try putting something over the flash to damp it down a bit - bit of a plastic milk bottle or similar?

S

ps being tight, I would try the last first if I had to buy anything.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

White balance.

Check the camera manual on how to set the white balance either by using a reference card (grey-card) or by entering a colour temperature.

You can do it in post as well using various products, it's easier to do when shooting RAW, but it can be done to a lesser extent with JPG.

The camera you have will shoot in RAW, and I suggest using that along with some RAW post-processing software.

NB: I've commented on how to deal with the colour cast, but Steve has some good ideas about avoiding the need for the light in the first place (tripod mount the camera and use the longest shutter speed you can, which I think is 120 seconds on that camera)

4. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Your camera does have flash EV/compensation looking online page 207 of the manual tell you how to adjust it.

You could try setting a custom white balance.

What editing software are you using, do you shoot in RAW?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Given that you are using a torch to provide most of the lighting I would think that setting a custom white balance (p128 of the online manual I found) would be the first thing to try. I doubt flash exposure compensation will work so well for very close subjects - it controls the flash duration which will have less adjustment of tbe subject is right up close. As others have said you have more flexibility to post process the white balance correction if you shoot in raw mode but this will also be best done if you have a reference grey card record. A grey card also helps set exposure. If you see reference to white paper for setting colour balance then white is just a shade of grey. Don't forget that a custom white balance only works for the moment. It will need to be set for each location. Reset the camera to auto,white balance when done.

6. Bandersnatch

Bandersnatch Member

The light from your LED torch has what's known as a "colour temperature". That basically means that all light sources will give off a colour cast that may not be visible to the human eye. For example - Tungsten lighting gives an orange cast. Sodium lights give a green cast. And your torch gives a blue cast.

In the pre-digital days when I was using transparency film. I would use tungsten balanced film for night photography. The film had it's own blue filter to cancel the orange colour cast caused by tungsten lighting. If I wanted to use the same film for daylight photography, I would use an orange 85A colour correction filter. I think that's what you need to do here. Invest in an 85A orange filter.

You could correct the colour cast when editing your images by adjusting the colour levels. In photography, all colours have opposites. Orange is the opposite of blue.

7. forester

forester Member

Thank you everyone for your comments and
    Thankyou everyone for your comments and helpful suggestions...I am sure I will find a solution from them that will solve my problem.

8. forester

forester Member

Thank you very much

9. forester

forester Member

Thank you, I like the sound of that option...I will try that first.

10. forester

forester Member

Much obliged...thank you

11. forester

forester Member

Thank you...economic solutions always sound good to me.

12. forester

forester Member

Thank you

13. forester

forester Member

The editing option sounds excellent ...thank you