1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Blot On The Landscape Or Modern Day Windmill

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Craig20264, May 27, 2016.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Look what someone went and did to a Welsh hillside. I've no doubt these things have there place, but here? (Apologies for the dodgy composition)

wind-turbines.jpg

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Why not there. They use power in wales don't they.

3. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

It was more of a general question really, more aimed at beautiful locations than Wales in particular. Should have known someone would take it literally. :rolleyes:

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't think they spoil the landscape, I think there'll always be places free of human structures, and I think I'd rather see wind turbines than nuclear power cooling towers, or belching smoke stacks. There are a couple of routes I drive which have open expanses and wind turbines on them, and sometimes in the sunset they just look incredible.

RogerMac likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Personally I dislike them. It is the scale really. They are so much larger than any other man made structure to be found outside cities and industrial areas.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think those big windmills are quite handsome. If they make usefull contributions to our power supplies, so much the better.

7. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I feel that it depends where they are, some places they are detrimental to the landscape, in others they don't really matter and in some that I have seen they make their own kind of addition.

RogerMac and Roger Hicks like this.
  8. Terrywoodenpic

They are not detrimental to the landscape they are part of it.
    they are far preferable from an artistic sense than say power lines.
    As struture they are one of the more beautiful designs and act as a foil to nature. In much the same way as the sails of old corn mills did, or the water pumps of the fenlands. We have just not yet come to love their grace in the same way yet... but we will.

EightBitTony likes this.
  9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I take you are not a member of this mob then?

Maybe Pylons should be a subject for the monthly comp/themes threads, just to see if you can be proved wrong... ;)

10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Terry,

Quite. Remember this one about the henge?

Cheers,

R.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  11. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I can accept one or two in a location, but it is the banks of them that annoy me, rows and rows of them. Then again, offshore, as at Great Yarmouth, they can be quite picturesque.

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

We've got lots around here, in the sea, on land, singles, three or four together and whole farms. They turn slowly and gently, quite relaxing to watch.

I like the things.

S

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of them but I think pylons are part of our landscape and they do have a certain majesty.

[​IMG]

14. Terrywoodenpic

I did not know they existed but I am not surprised.
    As structures pylons are extremely interesting and very complex in some instances. Some of the new designs are far simpler and might be thought beautiful.
    however the trouble with pylons is the sheer size of the network and the unforgiving nature of their route.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

There are banks on the Cumbrian coast, particularly around Siddick, these I don't find objectionable, I rather like them, ditto those on Blyth pier in Northumberland.

16. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Back in 2004, I took this panorama at Great Yarmouth with a Canon A70; I was horrified at the time, but have grown to accept it. great yarmouth panorama.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

In time, these might change the shape of our landscape as well

[​IMG]
    http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/In-your-area/Projects/Eakring-T-Pylon/

Although I quite like this idea (it's a bit narcissistic though)

[​IMG]
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...hain-of-human-pylons-planned-for-Iceland.html

18. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Strange this because my opinion of them has changed in a different way to most - to start off, I really liked them. A couple of weeks ago I took a walk on the moors and found that there was hardly a direction I could point a camera where there weren't windmills all along the horizon and since then I've found them annoying! What's that all about?

Anyway, from the period when I liked them:

[​IMG]Another Roof Shot 11 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]Scout Moor 2 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

[​IMG]Greenbooth 13 by Jeff Johnson, on Flickr

Cheers, Jeff

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I like them. And I like pylons, water towers and gasometers too. When I was studying at Clydebank College it was a relatively common sight to see the windmill parts being barged up the river Clyde. They were quite impressive close up.

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

They have been the cause of death for quite a number of birds in flight, as they are unable to see the rotating blades.