1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blending 3 or more images

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by SteveSinclair, Jul 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

Hi. I don’t have any filters yet and have been practicing bracketing in the camera when taking a composition with high dynamic range. I’m getting there with the mechanics and getting the correct number of exposures in camera to cover the dynamic range. However, I’ve no idea how to blend them in photoshop when I’ve got more than 2 images. Any tips for blending 3 or more images in PS? I can get the images into PS and into separate layers but then I’m lost - is it the same idea as with 2 layers?

I came across “luminosity masks” but couldn’t get my head around that yet.

Any suggestions/tips/hints welcome.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't use PS but it ought to be a standard menu item, select the images then look for "merge to HDR". Lightroom (6.14) has a menu item "merge to HDR in photoshop" so it must be possible.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Choose File→Automate→Merge to HDR

SteveSinclair likes this.
  4. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

Thanks I’ll give it a try.

I’d been reading articles involving masks etc and couldn’t figure out how to do it manually with >2 layers unless I only worked on 2 layers and a time stacks the images in the correct order but it got messy and difficult to track what goes where.

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Check that its not possible in camera. My 6D (and I believe quite a lot of others) offers this as a menu option

6. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

Didn’t even give that a thought. Thanks Roger I’ll have a stroll through the menus/manual.

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but it sounds as though you're confusing HDR with exposure blending. HDR is usually done as described above, and is mostly automated. Exposure blending is the process of manually blending two (or more) layers together, by use of layer masks, and blend modes. Exposure blending is far more labour-intensive, but can pay dividends in the results (if done well).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  8. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

Morning Peter - thanks you very much. You’re absolutely right, I’ve confused the question with my poor terminology. I do indeed mean exposure blending. It does seem labour intensive but the results look great. I’m struggling to understand how to deal with more than 2 layers.

peterba likes this.
  9. SteveSinclair

SteveSinclair Member

follow up:

I found this tutorial video - it’s way beyond my skill/knowledge level but the end results looks fantastic and exactly the sort of thing I want to be able to achieve so well worth the investment in time

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Don't worry - we've all done that! ;)

11. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member