1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Blencathra

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by gray1720, Mar 27, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

(which I walked up some hours after taking this - one more off the bucket list!)

[​IMG]Blencathra by gray1720, on Flickr

Not convinced I haven't over-sharpened the skyline even before Flickr got to it, so hints on settings welcome. And there's probably dust bunnies... found a couple of Harvey-size ones on other shots, so I need to clean it today. Had a word with my cobbers Steve and Cameron, and they've promised me some cleaning tips.

Just to prove I got to the top (no appraisal for this one!) - and the world's most rubbish trig point?

[​IMG]Blencathra summit by gray1720, on Flickr

Adrian

2. Jacques Rebaque

Jacques Rebaque Active Member

Nice gloves, was the first taken near Tewet Tarn? I've been there 6 times and never taken a shot of that Tarn I'm happy with :(

3. gray1720

Yes, about a hundred yards from the tarn. Thank you for the compliment - I chose the wool, the lady wiife knitted them.

Adrian

Jacques Rebaque likes this.
  4. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I have something very similiar for some reason.
    I would warm up the top half of the photo myself.

5. gray1720

Looking at yours on Flickr, I think you are right - I shall have a go later.

With my not-very short lens, that tree is an annoying central position in all my shots - perhaps I should have moved round more, but it restricted which bits of Blencathra I could actually frame very much.

Adrian

6. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Blencathra is lovely to look at but hellish difficult to get a decent shot of. I managed an OK (ish) one from Tewet Tarn some time ago but I've never seen or taken one that quite manages to convey its towering presence. Did you go up by Halls Fell ridge or Sharp Edge? As an aside, I don't when you took the shot but if it was yesterday then I was about 3 miles away from you on the summit of Carl Side!

7. gray1720

Yes, it's not easy - if you can fit it all in the viewfinder, it's too small! Driving past that great clawed South front every time we go in or out of the Lakes, I've wanted to bag it for years, but time or weather or companions have never allowed until yes, yesterday. Where are you staying up here? You were closer to where we are staying than we were - we're in Braithwaite.

We actually took neither route - we went up Doddick Fell as AW reckoned it was a great route - I don't always agree with him, but he spent so much time up here that I'll always listen to his views. He was spot on with that one - short, steep climb, but never difficult or dangerous, glorious views of Doddick Gill looking up and the rest of the Lakes looking South. I honestly think it's the nicest route I've ever done up here, the fois gras and trumpets of the lakes!

Adrian

8. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

Hi Adrian, we were doing a day trip up from Lancaster which is near enough for us to be (almost) local, especially for the southern fells. I've descended by Doddick Fell, never climbed it though. Good route. I was really just ticking off DAs (direct ascents) of all the Wainwrights. I know what you mean about getting the whole bloody thing in with a wide-angle - it just falls back on itself and ends up looking like Latrigg. Maybe one of those fancy Nikon wide-angle perspective control things might do the job.

9. gray1720

Aha, you must be able to see them from near home, then. There was, briefly, a stunning view across the rooves of Lancaster from the motorway on Saturday driving up.

Anyway... Any improvement? I selected the hillside and in the absence of a clue just tweaked the red very gently to warm it up. Has it helped, and can I do it a better way?

Thanks,
    Adrian

Attached Files: