1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blast From the Past

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by yachtsman1, Aug 23, 2019.

1. yachtsman1

yachtsman1 Member

I joined in 2007 when I bought my first serious DSLR, (Nikon D200). I haven't been dormant since then but anything I posted on here has disappeared? Currently I have a Panasonic FZ330, a Canon Ixus185 & an SJ6 Action camera. My wife has just bought a Panasonic FZ82.. In 2011 we moved from North Yorkshire to Merseyside & currently seeking a U3A group with a Photography section. There are 3 in the area, 1 I have visited & discounted, 1 I have visited & shortlisted & 1 yet to visit.
    My main interest is AV, & currently have almost 200 shows on my YouTube channel, mostly travel related but some instructional. I have just bought a new W10PC & the software I use is W10 Professional, Adobe Elements 2019, Audacity, Pictures to Exe, & Camtasia. Hopefully I can contribute some of what I have learned over the last 12 years.

I have a current problem which I will mention, but may have to ask elsewhere on here. My Wife's FZ82 does not come with a lens hood, & there is no facility to fit a clip on reversible petal type. The thread is 55mm so I bought a screw on 55mm rubber hood, which is 75mm internal diameter & projects about 30mm. The lens zooms from 20 to 1200mm & at 20mm has a full circle vignette which disappears around 35mm. I have ordered another rubber hood which looks to be a larger outside diameter, hopefully, the vignette will disappear with the new one. If it doesn't I thought I might try cutting the first hood to a petal shape & reducing the length. I'm loth to try to use a screw on rigid petal hood as she has arthritis & would find fitting the hood a chore. Has anyone got a solution.?
    Reg's Yachtsman1.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi again, posts usually live forever so maybe you joined but did not participate.

If it is a rubber hood then just fold it back when using the camera at equivalent focal lengths less than 35 mm. Hoods for wide angles are pretty minimal affairs anyway. If the vignetting is that severe you'll just get through a lot of hoods trying to make them petal sized and they probably won't collapse any more if you do cut them.

3. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Look for '3 stage' folding rubber lens hoods 0 I use these for years, originally on a 28-200 with a 35 mm film body, and now with 18-250 and 17-70 lenses on an APS-C DSLR body. They also offer excellent protection against damage.

This is a cheap example found on Amazon:
    71e-xz4kFqL._SL1500_.jpg

4. yachtsman1

yachtsman1 Member

Yes, the 2nd hood arrived after I'd made the post, it has the same problem at 20mm zoom. Showed the wife & she's happy with it. She didn't even know the lens went down to 20mm, so hey ho & off we go. Got the first one free so it doesn't owe me anything. Re past posts, can't remember, but I'm not usually a shrinking violet so to speak.
    Reg's Eric.

5. yachtsman1

yachtsman1 Member

Hi Chester AP, Thanks, that's the second one I bought, or very similar, so long as SWMBO is happy, I am.
    Regs Eric.